Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the region-specifc post here, but the Mid-Atlantic forum isn't seeing much action these days.

I'll be in Ohiopyle, PA next weekend and I'm wondering which bike to bring: road or cyclo-cross. I've ridden significant stretches of the C&O towpath (packed dirt) on my road bike and had no problem.

The Allegheny trail looks like compacted crushed limestone; and should be no problemo for my road bike... unless there is something I don't know about. Does anyone have recent experience; especially around the Ohiopyle State Park?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to work at Hite's bike shop in Cumberland, and have seen a few people ride their 23c's on it, but for the sake of your rims, I would go with the cyclo-cross. I'm not sure of the status of the trail now, but last summer they were still working on it, and there were some spots that was still kinda big gravel. They may have fixed it by now, but I'm not sure.

A really good place with people on it is in yahoo groups. Just search for Alleghany trail or "coTowpath" (people who ride the C & O Canal path ride the Alleghany trail also), and ask there. Most of the people on there are very experienced with the area trails.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I had some friends ride it last year. They normally ride flat barcross type bikes with 28-35mm tires. They had to stop & buy new, heavier-duty tires after riding the trail for a very short distance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.