Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beast Mode Never Engaged
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to try wide rims since I read about them and the Archetypes have jumped to the top of my list. I just picked up some Bontrager Chris King hubs which are thick flange 24/28 drilled classics. Would the Archetypes be a good choice for this type of build? At my heaviest I'm 190 and I'd like a stiff light wheelset for every day riding. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
507 Posts
I looked at these too, so far they appear to add about $70 to the build putting them between Archetypes and Hed c2. Would you say they are worth the price hike?
The SL23s are 20-25g lighter per-rim, if that matters. Aesthetically, I prefer the silver brake tracks on the Pacenti rims. I was comp'd on them both, but if I was going to purchase rims, I would have no problem paying the asking price of the SL23s.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I think they are pretty similar. The Pacenti is a bit wider and slightly deeper than the Arch. I dont know, though, if the difference is enough to make the additional expected wheel stiffness detectable by the rider.
IMO, the main disadvantage of the Arch, if there is one, is the fading of the anodizing from the brake track if you go with the black ones.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
The Archetypes are similar quality to the C2s, all though the brake track finish will wear off after a while.

I think you're on a good track though. The Archetype/King combo is a solid one, and I think you will be quite satisfied with it.

Out of those three rims though, I'd pick the Pacentis. They have a super versatile profile, and they are wider than the Archetype.

·
Beast Mode Never Engaged
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm between the two right now after reading a few reviews. The few extra dollars for the sl23s seems worth it to cut a little weight. I'm not a weight weenie but if I can get the same wide rim benefits with less weight it seems like a no brainer. I'm trying to decide on spokes at the same time and if I cut rim weight I can go for stronger, heavier spokes and end up saving some money in the long run.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you run the numbers comparing the two rims, for a front wheel with a WI T11 hub, 24 cx-ray spokes and brass nipples, the wheel built with the Pacenti SL23 will have a 5.7% lower moment of inertia, which is directly related to how much energy it takes to accelerate the wheel.

So the question is, is it worth a $70 one-time charge to use 5.7% less energy every single time to accelerate for the life of your wheelset?

*I used WI T11 just because that's the weight/info I already had on my computer. The savings are the exact same with Chris King hubs.

·
Beast Mode Never Engaged
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have the money then yes I would say worth it... do you know roughly what the weight is with both of those options? I was looking at rs-80s before finding a deal on these hubs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.