Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Giant had 23mm tires...my new Trek has 25mm tires...

Maybe it's just me but it feels like the new tires have more "play" to them...even when inflated to the maximum pressure they still feel like they're sloppy...

Is this all in my mind or should I go back to 23mm tires?

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
I'm the original numb-butt, but I think you're hallucinating

namrufmot said:

Maybe it's just me but it feels like the new tires have more "play" to them...even when inflated to the maximum pressure they still feel like they're sloppy...

No. actually you may feel a difference, but I never could, at least not between two tires that close in size. Like most cyclists, I think, I rode with 23mm tires for years, because they were supposed to be faster than wider ones. Then when I bought my Atlantis, Rivendell really urged bigger tires, and I haven't used anything smaller than 32 since. If you weigh more than 170 or so, you might be happier with even fatter rubber.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
namrufmot said:

I feel it too. I got a Trek with 25's. One day I was like "oh hell i'll put 23mm's on it" cuz i was having trouble finding the 25's. Never going back. LOVE the 23's. less play, more accurate, feel faster, ride's more responsive feeling...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
estone2 said:
I feel it too. I got a Trek with 25's. One day I was like "oh hell i'll put 23mm's on it" cuz i was having trouble finding the 25's. Never going back. LOVE the 23's. less play, more accurate, feel faster, ride's more responsive feeling...
Try riding a Jeep CJ and a Lexus down the expressway - Jeep at 65, Lexus at 85. Guess which one will 'feel' faster. Your smaller, high pressure tires are the Jeep. - TF

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
estone2 said:
Did you reset your cycle computer when you switched to the 23's? If not, this would show a faster speed than the 25's. That could account for some of the "faster feeling".

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
tire construction has way more to do with how a tire feels than size. compare the ride of a specialized nimbus-ex/k 35mm at 70psi to a continental gp-3000 23mm at 95psi. the 35's will feel damn near like a solid rubber tire, the 23's will be nearly as supple as a clement cotton tubular. totally the opposite of what you'd expect, from both the diameter and the pressure angles. it's all about the construction...

and, given the same exact same tire, one in 23mm & one in 25mm, run at the same pressure, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. when in doubt, run the larger size. that affords you either better pinch flat resistance for the same pressure, or a better ride at a lower pressure for the same level of pinch flat resistance.

fat is where it's at...

and you mention "even at max inflation pressure", bad juju my friend. that's merely the highest pressure the manufacturer says you can run without the tire possibly blowing off the rim. you shouldn't be anywhere close to that pressure. the higher the pressure the harsher the ride, the sketchier the handling, and the higher the rolling resistance. that's part of the enduring appeal of the tubular, you can run them at what appear to be rediculously low pressures for an unbelievably smooth ride. that said, the best of the modern wired-on tires ride every bit as nice as all but the very best tubulars of days past.

to give you an idea of proper pressures, i'm 155lb, and for standard diameter road tires (talking 23mm-27mm here) i'll have 95psi in the rear and 90psi up front. fatties like the aforementioned 35mm nimbus will have around 70psi in them. unfortunately a lot of folks have been drinking the high pressure kool-aid, and suffer crap-ass ride and handling because of it. try dropping your pressures, if you start getting pinch flats maybe bring it back up a bit, but actually try changing your riding style a bit first. some folks are "heavy" on a bike, some folks are "light" on a bike. this is irrespective of body weight, mind you, it's all about your technique. comes more to bear in the offroad world, but still totally applicable to pavement as well.

-eric

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Tire size..

If you weigh over 190 lbs and ride lousy roads you will benefit from using 25 tires. I found a slight improvement in the ride, but the main benefit is tire wear. I can get between 2500-3000 miles out a rear 25 tire. With some 23's I can expect around 1000-1500. Another plus is less flats.

Keep in mind that some tire manufacturers fudge on their tire size. They list a tire as a 700x25 but if you measure it, it's closer to a 23. Some 23's are closer to a 20. I noticed this when I started doing roll outs for my computer. Michelin is usually dead on with tire size. Conti is one of the manufacturers that fudge.

I did notice a difference when I was using Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX's (23's). I swear these are the best riding clincher tires I have used. It did make me ride faster but maybe it's because they felt so good I pushed myself more. The downside was their price and tire wear was 1k for the rear tire. I went through two sets.

Tire pressure has an effect also. I run my Michelin Carbons at 105 psi. With the Vittoria OP's I had to run them at 120 or they would get squirrely.

Or you can use a 25 for you back rim and a 23 for the front.

The largest improvement in the way a tire performs is psi.

·
Banned
476 Posts
love this comparison

TurboTurtle said:
Try riding a Jeep CJ and a Lexus down the expressway - Jeep at 65, Lexus at 85. Guess which one will 'feel' faster. Your smaller, high pressure tires are the Jeep. - TF

I feel like I am walking when going 100mph in S-Class
and feel like I am going 100mph when going 30 in the wife miyata

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ray Dockrey said:
I would think this has more to do with the tire and not tire size.
not really. if you use a 25mm regularly, and switch to a 23mm without recalibrating the computer, it will give a higher speed reading than the 25mm. If your looking down and seeing the speedometer reading faster, you may get the feeling you're actually going faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.