Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a 24 hour time trial, fixed, this weekend. Would like to get in 400 miles. Now weather forecast is off and on rain the whole time. What to do?

1. Bail. Rain sucks.

2. Start, but bail if it gets too bad.

3. Put on the rain gear, suck it up and be a man and finish the damn thing.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

why is this in commuting tho?

edit--- stopping at any point during a 24hr ride/race is acceptable to me.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cuz

tomk96 said:

why is this in commuting tho?
a) This is really more like a long ride, as opposed to a road race. Road racers typically don't do this kind of thing.

b) I like you guys more. :aureola:

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
A 24-hour time trial?!? Wowsers. That sounds like it will hurt in all kinds of ways regardless of the weather, so you might as well just suck it up and finish if you start.

And fixed? OMG.

Have you done this before? I'd be interested in a report afterwards

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup

llama31 said:
A 24-hour time trial?!? Wowsers. That sounds like it will hurt in all kinds of ways regardless of the weather, so you might as well just suck it up and finish if you start.

And fixed? OMG.

Have you done this before? I'd be interested in a report afterwards
Have done before. Stomach issues tended to predominate in the past, but I think I have that figured out. Taking care of my hands is a big challenge riding fixed, as all climbing is standing and yanking on the bars. Here's the bike, btw: http://www.midcalracing.com/mondonico/mondonicopista.htm

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
If it's Davis.....we're all bailing for the first time in two years because of the rain. If you decide to "quit" you may as well complete the loop once you hit Middletown because there ain't short way to turn back without Fuzzy and his red van! :)

I'm sorry we can't support DBC this weekend financially but we'll make up for it in a few weeks. Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm going to strap up the touring frame for a 50 out/back one night camping trip in the rain instead.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that bad, huh?

RedRex said:
If it's Davis.....we're all bailing for the first time in two years because of the rain. If you decide to "quit" you may as well complete the loop once you hit Middletown because there ain't short way to turn back without Fuzzy and his red van! :)

I'm sorry we can't support DBC this weekend financially but we'll make up for it in a few weeks. Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm going to strap up the touring frame for a 50 out/back one night camping trip in the rain instead.
So others are thinking it's going to be a wetfest?

If I start, I certainly won't get in the van, at least not until completing the day loop at mile 162. It's going to be veryt hard not to get in the car every time around the night loop, 18.4 miles, if it's raining all night long. Every hour, the car will be saying,"It's so nice and warm and dry in here. Come on, you don't need to do this. Get inside." Yuck.

I've quit 2 events in the last 2 years, and I really don't want to do it again. This is going to be a severe test.

I guess the plan is to pack up lots and lots of changes of clothes, and if they get soaked, change and start all over. Ride too long in the rain and you *will* get wet, either outside in or inside out.

Worst thing, though, is how bad it's going to muck up my brand new bike.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Fixed said:
So others are thinking it's going to be a wetfest?

We're between Devil Mountain Double and Davis Double so we're not exacly bummed to have another relaxing weekend between the two.

The rain is predicted for friday with a passing shower saturday. You'll be fine.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
It's not like the rain is going to foul your derailleur, or affect your brakes, so as long as you have rain gear, I don't see how you have any excuse for bailing out.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
If your fitness is good to go, just take care of the chain. Motocross riders use a heavy oil that sticks to the chain regardless of mud and water. You might look into that to keep the chain lubed for 24 hours.

I am planning on doing a 12 hour time trial in September (Ring of Fire, Oregon) and I plan on changing clothes at the 6-8 hour point. I will also have three sets of wheels since the first loop is 112 miles followed by as many 27 mile loops as I can complete before the 12 hour point. I've done 203 miles in a little over 10 hours, I hope to make 220 in 12.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ccd?

RedRex said:
We're between Devil Mountain Double and Davis Double so we're not exacly bummed to have another relaxing weekend between the two.

The rain is predicted for friday with a passing shower saturday. You'll be fine.
You doing Central Coast Double? Doing that one next week. One of my favorites. Also did it fixed a few years ago.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chain

bigbill said:
If your fitness is good to go, just take care of the chain. Motocross riders use a heavy oil that sticks to the chain regardless of mud and water. You might look into that to keep the chain lubed for 24 hours.

I am planning on doing a 12 hour time trial in September (Ring of Fire, Oregon) and I plan on changing clothes at the 6-8 hour point. I will also have three sets of wheels since the first loop is 112 miles followed by as many 27 mile loops as I can complete before the 12 hour point. I've done 203 miles in a little over 10 hours, I hope to make 220 in 12.
The chain is a brand new Izumi V (1/8"), well lubed, running on a new EAI Gold Medal Pro cog and a NOS Campy Record Pista ring, so it should be fine. Don't know how to make it any stronger than that. I have a bottle of lube ready to relube back at the end of the day loop.

I have about 6 sets of clothes packed so I can change out if I get soaked. First chance is at 160 miles, but then every 18 miles after that, if necessary.

This one uses the FC508 fixed gear rules, which requires you use the same bike and wheels throughout, except for a wheel failure. My wheels are so solid and proven, though, that I'm not even taking backup. (knock on wood) These are 32, 3x, spoke Open Pros with 14/15 spokes and Campy Record hubs, which I built very carefully myself about 5 years ago. The Pista design is inherently strong, too, with very little dish. Threw on some Gatorskins for this event, expecting to be in the rain.

Fitness? I have no idea. I've done some wicked fixed gear centuries in the mountains lately, but I've not ridden over 200 miles in a year and a half, and this would be my longest ride since 2001. It's mostly mental anyway, right?

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Fixed said:
I have about 6 sets of clothes packed so I can change out if I get soaked. First chance is at 160 miles

Don't forget the drop bags at the three (?) aid stations. You could always send some backup clothes to the middle aid if it's raining at the start, and then send the used clothing back in the bag. I just did this at Devil with some sweaty stuff once night fell. I'm quite sure your items would eventually make it back to the community center, that kind of service is what DBC and Fuzzy are known for.

Or use a tiny seatpost rack with change of clothes in a stuff sack with net. We do this on rainy winter double training rides.

Frankly I would just suffer through the first loop with shoe covers and extra butt'r. We're going riding/camping on your route tomorrow and my theory is; riding in the rain is quite fun when you predetermine you won't be uncomfortable. ;-)

The community center's kitchen will be open all night. My buddy's position on the night loop was a crock pot wtih soup constantly simmering, with a small coffee maker going as well, all night. Ride in, get some soup and coffee, get going.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Wool & fenders

What's the forecast temperature range? If at all cool, I's seriously consider a wool base layer and one or two changes of shorts part way through. Also, fenders will make it much more pleasant - full fenders would be best, but even RaceBlades would help.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yup

RedRex said:
Don't forget the drop bags at the three (?) aid stations. You could always send some backup clothes to the middle aid if it's raining at the start, and then send the used clothing back in the bag. I just did this at Devil with some sweaty stuff once night fell. I'm quite sure your items would eventually make it back to the community center, that kind of service is what DBC and Fuzzy are known for.

Or use a tiny seatpost rack with change of clothes in a stuff sack with net. We do this on rainy winter double training rides.

Frankly I would just suffer through the first loop with shoe covers and extra butt'r. We're going riding/camping on your route tomorrow and my theory is; riding in the rain is quite fun when you predetermine you won't be uncomfortable. ;-)

The community center's kitchen will be open all night. My buddy's position on the night loop was a crock pot wtih soup constantly simmering, with a small coffee maker going as well, all night. Ride in, get some soup and coffee, get going.
Taking along a mid size Camelbak with no bladder to haul rain gear, just in case I need to take it off and on. Will take advantage of the drop bags, too.

Temps between 50 and 63. Got wool and will probably use it, too. Hot soup is a good idea. May take along some Polar water bottles for that on the road.

Taking two pair of extra shoes. Might be nice to put on something dry once in while.

This does not look good:

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great

PdxMark said:
Accuweather's hourly forecast looks like it will be mostly not rain on Saturday. Doesn't look bad at all... :)
Great! I'll use that one, then. I'm more than willing to shop weather forecasts. Anyone from Portland has got to be an expert. ;-)

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Fixed said:
Great! I'll use that one, then. I'm more than willing to shop weather forecasts. Anyone from Portland has got to be an expert. ;-)
Accuweather has been pretty good at letting me know which time window to squeeze a ride in between showers... It's not all that relevant if your ride spans all the dry & wet hours, but maybe their guess on infrequent rain windows is right...

As for that wool... can't recommend it enough, particularly late in the ride in the early morning hours when body heat doesn't seem to want to stick around at all... or if a bit soggy... or even when the sun comes out and warms things up - allowing better breathing than those nice plastic jerseys... A small skull cap in the bag jersey pocket can also be a nice bit of warmth in those cool, dark early "morning" hours...

But I suppose you know all these things... it can't be sunny & warm ALL the time in Fresno...

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Good Luck Fixed!

That is 1 heck of a challenge, you seem to be the kind of guy to take it and win.

//Here's to a few showers and a warm night. :cool:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts