Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Tomorrow, I begin training for this: http://www.badtothebonerace.com/contents/bikeCourse.htm. I am entering the event with one of my friends as a team - he is running and I am riding. I was curious what a good basic training program would be for a race of this length, and what time I should be shooting for to complete the full 25.3 miles? I have only been on my road bike for about the past three weeks, having mountain biked for the past three years. I have completed several 25 mile rides, but always felt very fatigued afterwards, and did not complete them in "race times". I don't really expect to be competitive, just complete the race in a "middle of the pack" finish.

Two and a half months to go! Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
635 Posts
if you can ride the course ahead of time multiple times, scout it for where the sun/shade will be, where you can be protected from the (likely) wind via natural elements and see if any match up with points you possibly would go off on a break (if you desired) also any hills, descents, hazards (road quality)

do a few group rides of the same distance and do some work
do some races at the same distance and go all out, see where you will stack up, also see if things aren't just going to be a group sprint finish or maybe a small pack going off in the final 2 mi.

otherwise some sort of 1 hill day, 1 sprint day, ride varying distances at moderate pace the rest of the week type deal may work. do a search on the forum on workouts, if you arent in "race or bike shape" just about yet pretty much any of them will do

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CC09 said:
if you can ride the course ahead of time multiple times, scout it for where the sun/shade will be, where you can be protected from the (likely) wind via natural elements and see if any match up with points you possibly would go off on a break (if you desired) also any hills, descents, hazards (road quality)

do a few group rides of the same distance and do some work
do some races at the same distance and go all out, see where you will stack up, also see if things aren't just going to be a group sprint finish or maybe a small pack going off in the final 2 mi.

otherwise some sort of 1 hill day, 1 sprint day, ride varying distances at moderate pace the rest of the week type deal may work. do a search on the forum on workouts, if you arent in "race or bike shape" just about yet pretty much any of them will do
Yes, it's close enough to where I live that I could head over there a couple of times and ride the course before the event. This is something my teamate thought would be a good idea as well.

I fell that I'm in "bike shape", just not "race shape". I'll search for some more information and find a good general training plan. Any ideas on what kind of times I should be looking at for a 25 mile race?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well the answer to that question changes a lot when you read the site:

you will be challenged beyond expectations as you tackle tremendous hills aptly named the “Evil Twins” and break neck flats and curves.
Sounds like fun. :D

Without seeing an elevation profile or seeing the area though it is impossible to really say how long it would take.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've read that to comfortably complete a race of a certain distance, that it is best to ride more than the target distance.

So maybe if your part of the race is 25.3 mi, it may help to ride 30 or 35 miles.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
Since this is a leg of a duathalon, is there drafting allowed? The site doesn't have any rules.

I'm guessing this will be more of a time trial. If that is the case, think about investing in some clip on aero-bars in the next week or two. Get them on the bike, and practice with them a couple of times a week.

For a race of that distance, you will need about an hour or maybe a bit more. So train using long intervals. Here is a general program I would use.

M: 3 20 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest. 20 minutes warmup/cooldown
T: 3 15 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest. 25 minutes warmup/cooldown
W: Hour ride at very easy (recovery) pace.
R: 3 20 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest. 20 minutes warmup/cooldown
F: Hour ride at very easy (recovery) pace.
S: Long ride. 3 40-50 minute tempo intervals with 5-10 minute rest. 15 minutes warmup/cooldown
S: Long recovery ride. 2.5 hours at easy pace.

Do this type of schedule for three weeks, maybe easing into it a bit if you want. Then take a rest week. Then do it again for another three weeks. Then take another rest week. You should have about a week or so to go before the event. Do this type of schedule, but cut all the interval time in half, keeping the same intensity.

If you decide to get aerobars, do it soon and use them often, especially during your intervals.

Silas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SilasCL said:
Since this is a leg of a duathalon, is there drafting allowed? The site doesn't have any rules.

I'm guessing this will be more of a time trial. If that is the case, think about investing in some clip on aero-bars in the next week or two. Get them on the bike, and practice with them a couple of times a week.

For a race of that distance, you will need about an hour or maybe a bit more. So train using long intervals. Here is a general program I would use.

M: 3 20 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest. 20 minutes warmup/cooldown
T: 3 15 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest. 25 minutes warmup/cooldown
W: Hour ride at very easy (recovery) pace.
R: 3 20 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest. 20 minutes warmup/cooldown
F: Hour ride at very easy (recovery) pace.
S: Long ride. 3 40-50 minute tempo intervals with 5-10 minute rest. 15 minutes warmup/cooldown
S: Long recovery ride. 2.5 hours at easy pace.

Do this type of schedule for three weeks, maybe easing into it a bit if you want. Then take a rest week. Then do it again for another three weeks. Then take another rest week. You should have about a week or so to go before the event. Do this type of schedule, but cut all the interval time in half, keeping the same intensity.

If you decide to get aerobars, do it soon and use them often, especially during your intervals.

Silas
Great information! Thanks for the help.

I'll contact the event organizers and discuss the rules with them to see what is allowed and what isn't. Can you tell me why aerobars would be advantageous in this case if drafting isn't allowed? Is it so I can get some of the same benefits of drafting without actually doing it? Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm new too all of this.

Again, I appreciate the help!

EDIT: I hate getting old. I planned on putting in a 30 miler today, but after an office paintball outing yesterday, it's going to be hard to make it to the gym today let alone get on the bike. Oh well... plenty of sunny days in the forcast.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
abegetchell said:
Great information! Thanks for the help.

I'll contact the event organizers and discuss the rules with them to see what is allowed and what isn't. Can you tell me why aerobars would be advantageous in this case if drafting isn't allowed? Is it so I can get some of the same benefits of drafting without actually doing it? Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm new too all of this.

Again, I appreciate the help!
If you are going to be racing in a group, aerobars will likely be prohibited.

If you're riding solo, your main enemy is wind resistance. Aerobars will help you to get in to a more aerodynamic position, hence you can go faster with the same effort.

Silas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.