Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a practical matter, is it possible to fit a 25.4 mm diameter handlebar in 26.0 mm stem?

TT

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Did it recently

DoubleTap said:
As a practical matter, is it possible to fit a 25.4 mm diameter handlebar in 26.0 mm stem?

TT
Used a shim to fill the space. I guess you are speaking of a quill stem. Peterwhitecycles sells shims for this purpose, as does Harris cyclery. I made mine out of a piece of aluminum plate I had. Cut it out with sissors and carefully tucked it into the gap and tightened it down. So far so good, i really tried to move the bars after I set them in place, no movement.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been riding with a homemade shim for over a year so that I could use the pretty Cinelli stem from e-Bay I thought would fit :(
It's rock solid and doesn't look to be threatening to break. Does make me a little nervous, and I really should spend another $15 on a stem that fits when my life is on the line, but, you are clamping aluminum around aluminum, and filling the gap with more aluminum. In theory this shouldn't be any weaker than a larger bar in the same stem, assuming you use a properly sized shim and tighten it correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.