Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Anything will work with enough torque, but you'll end up notching your bars, and they probably will spin under any significant load. Time for a new stem, I think.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've certainly known plenty of people who have done this (some get longer bolts so they have more threads to work with) - and have also seen people shim smaller bars for larger stems. But at the risk of sounding like a Safety Ranger, I personally think that the handlebar/stem interface is one area I want to get right, given the stiff penalty you'll pay should your bar slip or crack. A stem costs less than dentures!

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is my understanding that shimming a smaller bar/larger stem isn't much of an issue, but the inverse (what you want to do) is. The problem with what you're proposing is that you don't get much surface area between the bar & stem, becasue the curvature of the two don't match up. It'll "work" temporarily, as in the bars will stay put, but like everyone else it's one of those I wouldn't risk. I don't think it's worth risking notches the bars (which could lead to the bars breaking or bending) or having the bars twist under heavy load.

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
AppleCyclingComputer said:
I have two faceplate screws on the 25.4 mm stem, will the new bars attach ok, or do I need a new stem?
With bullhorns??? are you mad??? Don't do it! The undo stress on the bolts and the faceplate not to mention the force produced with the extra leverage of the bullhorns can only result in eventual and certain disaster.

I just saw your last post... good move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts