Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, I bought a bike this year. I've been riding a lot and my bike is going to need tires soon. It has 700x23c and I'm definitely going to move up to 25 but I was also thinking about 28. I'm 54 yrs old, 6'0" and weigh 240 lbs. I'm looking to smooth out the bumps, maybe getting a little extra tire mileage. I don't care about rolling resistance, I need to lose 20 pounds before I start caring about that. But I don't want the bike to have the rolling resistance of a comfort bike. After riding this new bike, 9 speed 105 with 700x23 tires and seeing how smooth, effortless, and fast it rolls, I now think by 35 year old 10 speed Schwinn has too much rolling resistance with it's 27"x 1 1/4" tires. Would the 28 have the same rolling resistance that the 27x 1 1/4" tire have? Is there much of a difference between 25 and 28? I don't want to be huffing and puffing using the 28 nor do I want to cut back the distance that I ride.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Frame fit?

The first thing to do is to figure out whether a 28 will fit in your frame. The next thing is to find a higher quality 28, as many dealers tend to sell only lower end tires in that size and up. The reason your Schwinn rolls badly is partly the clunky tires and partly the clunky wheels. A good 28 mm tire will roll fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.