Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a metal matrix specialized roadbike which came with some mavic sup wheels. Over the weekend I got stuck at the top of a 10k climb with two broken spokes. I'm a weekend thrill rider and I commute during the week to work. I'm looking for the lightest least expensive bullet proof wheelset for my weight class. Any suggestions?

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Mavic Open Pro rims.
Shimano Ultegra hubs.
Sapim Race or DT Competion spokes in 2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted gauge.
36 hole, cross 3 lacing.
Built by someone who builds correctly with sufficient tension, even tension and stresses relieved. The info in my sig will give you insight.

·
Registered
587 Posts
vwnut said:
I have a metal matrix specialized roadbike which came with some mavic sup wheels. Over the weekend I got stuck at the top of a 10k climb with two broken spokes. I'm a weekend thrill rider and I commute during the week to work. I'm looking for the lightest least expensive bullet proof wheelset for my weight class. Any suggestions?
You need to drop some LBS's. But my suggestion for the time being would be the ROL Volants.

·
Musculo Med Doc
93 Posts
for pure strength - it's going to be very hard to beat the velocity.........and while there have been many great suggestions made, he did say cheap - No? and there are plenty that ain't cheap up there. The Velocities built well have to to put you way over 5 bonez!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
lightweight? dunno what ur definition is, but if you wanna stop that happening again, and providing u can get ur hands on a good builder, i second the dt comp, cxp33 rims in preferably 32f/36r... thats about as light a rim as you would want.... deep V would be even better, but at least 110g per rim heavier.... the cxp has a better profile, stiffer and stronger than the OP and only around 45-50g heavier per rim... i would avoid low spoke wheels w/ light rims given a past history of being tough on wheels...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
snodog1 said:
for pure strength - it's going to be very hard to beat the velocity.........and while there have been many great suggestions made, he did say cheap - No? and there are plenty that ain't cheap up there. The Velocities built well have to to put you way over 5 bonez!
this is true.... performance do an ultegra and a DA OP build for little money.... around $200 at the right time for the tegs.... 32h, all dt comp/brass... that said i have no idea what the quality of the build is... just b/c it has x components, does not mean he wont have similar issues w/ the wheels... hopefully some ppl can comment on the build of performance or other similar vendors...

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
I would go with a Velocity Aerohead or Dyad rim. Use at least 32 spokes (DB14) in the front, but I would go with (DB14) 36 in the rear. A minimum of an Ultegra or Centaur hub and use 25c or greater tires. You should be able to get this built for $400 to $500 and not have any problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
one of the problems w/ velocity rims are that they have no eyelets so if you hit a pothole and get a large amount of localized stress the rim is likely to crack at the nipple. IMHO i would use 36 hole r 32 hole f open pros b/c they us double eyelets, they may be flexeyer but they should be stronger in the long term. If you really wanted to throw down i would go w/ the cxp 33 36/32 combo w/ king cross hubs and bladed spokes build up 3 cross.

·
Registered
151 Posts
vwnut,
If you are looking at light and bullet proof at the same time then you are looking at opposite ends of the performance spectrum. However, at your weight I would focus more on durability so with that in mind I would encourage you to look at deep section rims for stiffness and durability. My recmmendations would be in the following order:

1. Soul 4.0 wheels (41 mm rims):http://www.bikesoul.com/s4.html

2. Velocity Deep V rims w/your choice of hubs: http://www.velocitywheels.com/default.asp?contentID=583

3. Mavic Ksyrium Elite/Equipe wheels (steel spoked variety): http://www.mavic.com/road/products/Ksyrium-Equipe.995507.aspx

All of these are stiff and strong in my experience and should be much more reliable then the Open pro wheels. Don't believe the hype regarding the open pro rims because they are only 420 gram rims which at your weight won't last very long. For your info I am a 5'10" 210 lbs track sprinter (207 on a good day ;-) that likes to abuse his equipment with off road sprinting (ie. grass and dirt roads) as a part of my training program.

Dan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Regarding the DT rims it was my understanding that the 1.1s had some issues with the eyelet area cracking so probably not a good idea especially at the price listed that would be a very expensive mistake.

Regarding the Velocity Deep-Vs and ride stiffness a good solution to ride stiffness are some meatier tires...700x25s or larger 700x23s. Vittoria CXs run larger than most of the tires available...actually closer to a 700x25c. Otherwise if you have money to burn then the TUFO tubular-clinchers are really nice for clydes. They really minimize (actually never experienced) pinch flats which are almost too common for heavier riders. Plus they have a huge range to experiment with when you are trying to dial in lower rolling resistance and comfort/durability. Most regular clinchers will only inflate to 110-116 psi which is pretty low for a larger rider. The TUFOs inflate to 220 psi...makes them glide along without any resistance.

Dan

·
Registered
151 Posts
hclignett said:
I would avoid the Soul 4.0 in the above posters recommendation. Only because of personal experence when something goes wrong it's a drag to have to send them all the way back to the other side of the world.
hclignett,
What happened in your case? Just curious because I have been looking at purchasing them based on someone's experience here locally. My experience with them was they were well made and stiff, stiff , stiff! Great wheel for a heavy or abusive rider.

Dan

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ultegra hubs laced up to Mavic CXP-33 rims 36 spoke 3 cross, 14 ga. spokes. I've had a set of these for years and have never had to tighten a single spoke and I ride on very rough gravel roads, which sometimes gets washouts. They were built by Colorado Cyclist. I'm 236# so I'm not quite your size but definitely a clydesdale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.