Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 25th anniversary Dura Ace kit that is still in the case, everything is brand new. I was wondering if this is some sort of collectable? Does this have any sort of value? If I were to try to sell it, what do you think a fair asking price would be? I bought it a few years ago on an impulse after seeing it in the display case at the local shop. It came in this nice high tech looking aluminum briefcase(very james bond like) with each component sorted with its own place in the case. It even came with a Dura Ace 25th anniversary watch. All the components actually had 25th anniversary etched onto them. I never got around to installing the components onto my bike. Now since I just got 10 spd dura ace, I am never going to use this group. Is it worth holding to see if its' value increases or should I just sell it? How much should I ask? What are some good avenues to try to sell the group? Ebay? or any other sites that you all know of?
Thanks in advance!
Nctacoma

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
Keep it a few (a lot?) more years

These things occasionally show up on eBay. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay. Presumably they'll increase in value with time, but the collector's market is small. Try offering it on eBay with a reserve that makes you comfortable, and see what happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
J E James ( UK dealer ) have an advert in the December issue of Cycle Sport and are offering the 25th Anniversary group for 900 pounds (knocked down from 1,699 pounds according to the ad). You could assume then that they're having trouble shifting them.

The value may go up over time but it'll probably take a while. Ebay sounds like your best bet.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
One of the rare misteps for Shimano- the 25th Anniversery Stuff was overpriced and didn't sell well. A few of the bigger online outlets got stuck with a few of the packages and were offering major discounts on the stuff. Given the new 10 speed Dura Ace stuff, with the superior crank/BB and improved STI's, the nine speed Dura Ace is sort of losing value at this point. While you could save it for ten years at try and sell it as a collectible, I have doubts whether your return on investment would be any better than if you sold it now and invested the money for ten years. Sorry.

:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.