Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would very much appreciate any recommendations for some mtb rims for touring. It would be for "medium weight" touring (not credit card touring, not round the world heavy duty stuff either, just tent, clothes, sleeping bag, etc). I've been using any old mtb rims (32h both front and rear) and broke a spoke the last tour. I figure it's about time to get "proper" rims for the job.

One thing: I currently use Specialized Fat Boy 1.25" tyres which I'm very happy with, and would prefer to keep them. I tried fitting these to a Sun Rhynolite rim, and wasn't convinced they fitted properly -if they had, I think I'd buy a Rhynolite 36h for the rear 3x spoke pattern, and put a 32h Rhynolite 3x spoke pattern on the front...... Rhynolites seem to be very well built. So if anyone can tell me that 1.25" tyres fit Rhynolite rims, I'd be interested in your experiences. Otherwise, it would be nice to keep the 1.25" Fat Boys on and find a good mtb rim that would do the job as I'm a cheapskate and prefer not to incur the cost of new tyres as well -particularly since I was very happy touring on the 1.25" Fat Boys.

Also, if anyone is really knowedgeable and can tell me if a good wheel build (all other things being equal) with a 32h 4x is about the same strength as a 36h 3x, I'd be very interested to hear their opinions.

Thanks!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Hi Nige,
Sorry, nothing really related to your thread. Just wanted to let you know that I sent you an email.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a bike I call my "truck" - aluminum hard tail mountain bike with rigid steel fork. It rolls on XT disc hubs and uses Sun Rynolite Silver / Shimano XT wheels. I've been using IRC Metro's 1 1/2 inch width and have well over a thousand miles using this setup. These wheels & tires aren't the lightest, but they seem sturdy and quite durable are light enough. My tires work great with these rims - I usually run them at ~95 psi.

My tires are "flat topped" (from wear) and even after rotating them frequently (swapping front with rear), I need a new set.

(sigh) I hate to part with those tires - we've had so many good times together.
:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts