Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a recreational rider/racer and I am currently riding a trek 2100 ultegra equipped, and have entered a 26 mile race this june. the bike is completely stock with the exception of look A51 pedals and I recently ordered michelin pro race tires 700x23c to switch with the current bontrager race lite 700x25c tires. Is there any other inexpensive mods that can increase my probability of hanging with the pack. Or any recommendations such as tire pressure etc.?
thanks,
PHX

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would just ride the bike just the way it is as long as you are comfortable on it.As for tire pressure just make sure they're full.:D

I have a buddy that is a dirt poor college student.On the fastest local group ride we have(32 mile loop.averages 25-28mph)he is always in the top 10-15 riders.These are all guys that have raced for quite a while and are on high end bikes.He just upgraded to an entry level Trek.Before he was riding a POS steel frame,rusted bike that said "calm like a bomb" on the side of it with down tube shifters and a worn out drive train.

It really isn't about the bike.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I have been riding since 2001 and am currently averaging about 350 miles a month , I live in northern new york so weather has complicated my training. I average about 17-18 mph on hilly terrain and 22-24 mph on more flat terrain. I don't expect to win however there is awards for age groups so there is a slim possibilty I might be able to medal in my age group. Irregardless I plan to have fun and it gives me a goal to keep me training towards.
thanks again,
phx

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hell,If you are only riding 350 miles a month and able to average 24MPH by yourself over any sort of substantial distance keep doing what you doing.:p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R.Rice said:
Hell,If you are only riding 350 miles a month and able to average 24MPH by yourself over any sort of substantial distance keep doing what you doing.:p
That 24 mph is on the flats for a 60 mile ride over varied terrain I am at about 16mph sorry if I was misleading just wanted to clarify that.
thanks,
phx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts