Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola:

Yesterday afternoon I set off on the fixed gear with the intention of popping down to MOD Squad Cycles and back. Nothing more than a 4 or 5 mile spin. I figured the fixed gear would save my stitched finger from shifting and braking. (Oh I have 6 stitches in my finger, go here to be disgusted) MOD Squad is a pretty cool little shop. They're located in South Harlem just north of Central Park. I got good vibes from the people working yesterday and got a little nostalgic for the years I spent working as a mechanic in bike shops. As I was knee-deep into reminiscing about greasy days gone by there was a loud record skip... the culprit: a customer complaining about the shop not carrying a particular type of bike rack. It was then that I decided days gone by are sometimes best left ... gone by. I did pick up a snazzy new Knog cap before leaving and headed back home.

Funny thing about headed back home: I couldn't do it. It was too nice out. Riding, after running the past few days felt so good on the legs, and so I just pointed the bike south and pedaled. I didn't really have a plan but did have an interest in checking out Randalls Island. So, off I went. I ducked into Central Park and took the bike path down to 59th street and shot across the Queensboro Bridge. Once I was in Queens I churned north up to the RFK Bridge. My ride turned out being 26 miles instead of the 4 or 5 I planned on.
Below: The Robert F Kennedy Bridge from Queens.

Riding across the RFK Bridge was amazing. It's narrower than the George Washington and the view is pretty amazing. There are stairs you climb at each end of the bridge and they've built a little gutter at the side of the stairs for you to push your bike within. I planned on taking the RFK Bridge North, off of the island and into the Bronx but the walkway was closed and so I had to take the pedestrian bridge west into Manhattan. From there I pedaled west and hopped back into Central Park to complete the top loop of the bike path and exit at the same point I had entered the park at an hour or so earlier. From there it was just a 70 or so block ride home.
Below: Crossing the RFK Bridge onto Randalls Island.

Below: Ol' reliable.

Take care,
Arby

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dahut said:
Very cool. I really appreciate the bother of mapping it out for us. Nice of you.

I didnt realize how big NYC really is.
No problem. I just tracked my ride with my iPhone. I use an app called Runmeter for running and cycling. It tracks your route, pace, mileage, elevation etc. Pretty awesome little tool!

Arby

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MB1 said:
Ol' Reliable is looking pretty good.........
She needs so much love though. The rear wheel is so out of tension that I'm breaking a spoke every few months. I can't keep the wheel true without having some spokes completely loose. The cog and chainring are so shark-toothed it's rediculous. The chain, cog and chainring haven't been changed in over 4 years! Soon I will drop some coin and get her back up to snuff.

·
Pedaling Like Mad
378 Posts
Arby said:
No problem. I just tracked my ride with my iPhone. I use an app called Runmeter for running and cycling. It tracks your route, pace, mileage, elevation etc. Pretty awesome little tool!

Arby
That is very cool. I have a regular phone, no apps - none of that stuff. You guys with your techtoys astound me. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.