Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have about 800 miles on my first road bike, a '11 Trek 1.1. Love the bike and have only broken 1 spoke on it.

Yesterday I picked up a '07 CAAD 8 with very, very little use. In reading about the wheelset on it I'm a bit concerned that I may be asking for trouble at my weight. Do I NEED to pick up a new wheelset and if so what would you recommend at or below $300?

If I SHOULD pick up new wheels do I NEED to stay off the bike until then?

I would go to a local builder but I don't know of any in my area.

Thanks you for the help,

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Who knows how long those wheels will last under your weight. Some heavy boys say they have lots of luck with low spoke wheels. You don't NEED to do anything if you don't mind some risk. $300 is very low for any normal local wheelbuilder. Things will start at about double that. But look at BWW's offerings for 230lb+ -

Road 236+

AFAIC - all factory bikes come with wheels that don't have enough spokes.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you're worried, you can pick up a set of Shimano 105 or Ultegra hubs laced to a Mavic Open Pro or CXP33 rims laced 3X front and back (32 hole) or some DT Swiss RR 465 or RR 585 rims, again laced 3X front and back (32 hole). You should go with brass spoke nipples. Such a wheel set will last you a long time and if you progress, lose the weight, and want something lighter, flashier, etc. you can pull these wheels off, set them in the closet and have a solid back up set.

There are lots of wheel builders online and perhaps locally who could build you the above set for about $300.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.