Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Niner BSB cross bike
I ride a lot of gravel roads and would like a littlemore tire clearance (currently can fit 40c clement)
I read somewhere that running 650b wheels allows you more tire clearance.
Is that true? I really don't know how it could be true.
And what is 650b?
Is it the same as 27.5?
Thanks for the help

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,961 Posts
Many folks do it, the above GravelRiding article is a good reference. SheldonBrown also had a 650B retrofit article. So long as you have disc brakes, it is as easy as getting a new set of wheels. If your bike has thru-axles it is extra easy as alignment when swapping wheels is a cinch.

Much of the time 650B will get you a few extra mm of tire. How much depends on the size of your frame and its design. Frequently smaller frames benefit less from 700C->650B than larger ones. Cited differences I've seen are going from 40mm-ish 700C to 50mm 650B in a men's med/L size or 48mm 650B in a smaller size.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,961 Posts
Thanks for the info
Is 27.5 the same as 650b?
It' seems easier and less expensive to find 27.5
Yes.

The industry has pushed the "27.5" label as it is more real to...well, let's be honest...dumb Americans who can't understand metric. It also sounds "revolutionary" which is also a big hit with share-holder investors...as opposed to just admitting that they're selling bikes with a 100-year-old rim standard, AGAIN.

Bikeradar had a [email protected]$$ piece on the naming trend a while ago: Trail Tech: Cutting through the 27.5 wheel size hype - BikeRadar USA

If you want 650B, you're probably going to need hand builts due to that naming convention being uncommon for pre-builts and boutiques.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts