Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to go fixed, need your help

Hey everyone, I'm fixing up (both ways, new paint and fixed wheel) an old 80's era Puch Odyssey. I have no idea what year it is, but I keep hearing that older bikes may have 27" wheels instead of 700c?

Is this something that should concern me as I don't want to get a new set of wheels that don't fit the frame. It doesn't have the original rims/tires for me to measure so is there someway I can still figure this out?

I did try to search a little but I couldn't come up with anything.
Also, if someone would point me in the way of a cheap flip/flop wheelset that would be cool. Currently I'm looking at some CXP22's for $170.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Gotta work on your search skills. This is discussed a lot.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=138440
Anyway, brake reach is the only issue. Do you have another bike, or know someone with a bike with 700c wheels? Borrow a couple of wheels for a few minutes, install them, and see if the brake reach works. If the bike took 27" originally, you can still use 700c, but you may need new brakes.

"old 80s era" -- I love that.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
cheap wheels

those cxp-22 -- is that complete wheels? what hubs? hard to find a pair of decent wheels for cheaper than that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is more of an unrelated question, but I'd rather not start another thread.
I will also post pictures of the project here.

I think I'm going to have to replace my bottom bracket. It's a square spindle type. I already got the cranks off, but I'm wondering what kind of bottom bracket to order? Can I replace it with a cartridge type or do I have to try and find an old square taper bb?

Any tips would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
If you're going to use the old crank, you need a bb with a square taper spindle that matches. You need to know whether it's the ISO (Campy and other Euro makers) or JIS (Shimano) standard. Here's an explanation:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Depending on the length and threading of your bb, you may be able to get a cartridge-bearing bb with the right square-taper spindle.

Why do you think you need a new BB? If it's the old loose-ball type, and the races aren't badly chewed up, it's a pretty easy job to overhaul it. With new balls and grease it may work just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of getting a new bottom bracket because when I try and turn the square spindle by hand after I took the cranks off, it jumps and doesn't spin freely. It is actually quite hard to turn by hand.

Do you think I can get away with just regreasing it? What parts would I have to replace without redoing the whole BB. Just the bearings?

Also, I read that article but I suppose that I can only tell if it's JIS or ISO by taking the BB apart and looking for model numbers? Otherwise the cranks are SUGINO and I'm assuming they match which would mean I probalby have JIS?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Sugino = Japanese = JIS (usually)

Overhaul is easy (unscrewing the cups from the frame may be the only hard part -- they can be pretty stuck on an old frame). If the races are not damaged you only need the balls and grease -- and you can even re-use the balls, though they're cheap, so I usually replace them.

But you can get a sealed unit (Shimano UN-53) cheap, and it will be maintenance-free essentially forever. Measure the bb shell width and the spindle length to get the appropriate replacement. Look here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

BTW, if you want to get more input on a separate issue like this, it's a good idea to start a new thread with an informative heading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In other words, once I take out the BB, I measure it, and then I can get any style BB I want with those same dimensions? Or will it have to be English/SquareJIS.

I just don't want to go and get a new BB that won't fit in the frame if that's what it comes down to.

Thanks for all your help again.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A caveat....

JCavilia said:
Overhaul is easy (unscrewing the cups from the frame may be the only hard part -- they can be pretty stuck on an old frame). If the races are not damaged you only need the balls and grease -- and you can even re-use the balls, though they're cheap, so I usually replace them.
I would never recommend re-using ball bearings on a bottom bracket that the OP described as "difficult to turn". The races and spindle? Maybe, but I'd have to look at them real close in this case before saying yes.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Drunner611 said:
In other words, once I take out the BB, I measure it, and then I can get any style BB I want with those same dimensions? Or will it have to be English/SquareJIS.
I just don't want to go and get a new BB that won't fit in the frame if that's what it comes down to.
Thanks for all your help again.
You must match:
-threading
-taper (if you're using the same crank)
-shell width
-spindle length

You can measure these last two even before you remove the bb from the frame, but if you're considering overhaul you'll be removing it first anyway.

You'll also need the appropriate tool to unscrew the cups. Read Sheldon some more.

And if you decide to overhaul, get one of these guys, too, if it doesn't have one:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#sleeves

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.