Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to convert a 27" wheeled bicycle to normal 700 road wheels? Would I need different brakes or is it just not worth it? Technically not commuting I guess but this would be for a part time commuter and you guys seem to know what works and what doesn't.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't.

FrontRanger said:
Is it possible to convert a 27" wheeled bicycle to normal 700 road wheels? Would I need different brakes or is it just not worth it? Technically not commuting I guess but this would be for a part time commuter and you guys seem to know what works and what doesn't.
Like adult diapers it Depends.

You are just going to have to try to fit some 700C wheels in there and see if you can adjust the brakes to reach.

A tip; 27" wheels have a larger diameter than 700C wheels. If the brake pads are at the middle or bottom of the slot in the calipers your chances aren't good that you will be able to make the change.

Still, the only way to really know is to give it a try.

Another (very small) concern is pedal clearance, if the bike you are trying to convert is an older touring bike with a low bottom bracket the smaller wheels could cause a bit of a problem if you ride carelessly.

Finally, 27" stuff is still readily available with a little bit of advance planning (stock a few spares in the basement) so there is not all that much of a reason to make the switch....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MB1. I knew this post was right up your alley. I will see if a road wheel will fit(kind of a deal breaker) but not be too concerned about switching until the current wheels become a problem.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
FR, Paul's got a buncha information on his website about 27" to 700c conversions, IIRC.

·
Registered
405 Posts
As someone else posted, it depends on the position of your brake mount on your frame -some will allow conversion, some not.

You might have to use some long reach calipers -I bought some cheap Nashbar ones ($16 for the pair after a coupon) for a 27" wheel bike that had the old centre pull brakes on, and they work pretty well -surprizingly well for the price. Shimano also make some long reach calipers as well (I think Harris Cyclery/Sheldon Brown carries them or just do a search on qbike or bestbikebuys.com or google it). Just a word of caution, having long reach calipers won't necessarily make it so you can convert -for example my 27" wheel bike still can't use 700C wheels -but that's due to the brake mount being fairly high up the seat stays.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the additional info. I went ahead and picked it up but the wheels are in great shape so if I can get tires easily I will just leave it as such. However this thing is just begging to be turned into a fixie. If so I will need a new rear wheel to do it right. It is currently just a 6sp freewheel. And I don't see the point of building up a 27" fixed wheel if a 700c will fit. decisions..................decisions...............

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Another brake option is old Shimano Tourney centerpulls. They have very long reach, and they stop your bike like you hit a wall, especially if you set them up with new Ultegra pads. There are about one million of them out there. Keep your eyes on eBay.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We don;t even want to start thinking about frame angle changes....

FrontRanger said:
And I don't see the point of building up a 27" fixed wheel if a 700c will fit. decisions..................decisions...............
...if you ride a bike with a 700C rear and a 27" front. Sure you won't have any rear brake issues if you run fixed but oh the steering. :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've converted four bikes

I've converted four bikes so far to 700c wheels and I have not had a problem yet. Three of the bike were old Schwinns and one is a Peugeot. The brakes on all of them have plenty of reach so I did'nt have to replace the brakes. Even if you do need a brake replacement they won't cost a lot and the braking power is pretty good. I replaced the brakes on a Schwinn World to 105s and it was very easy.

Ger

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ger said:
I've converted four bikes so far to 700c wheels and I have not had a problem yet. Three of the bike were old Schwinns and one is a Peugeot. The brakes on all of them have plenty of reach so I did'nt have to replace the brakes. Even if you do need a brake replacement they won't cost a lot and the braking power is pretty good. I replaced the brakes on a Schwinn World to 105s and it was very easy.

Ger
I threw a 700c I had laying around on there and it fit just fine. It is only about a 1/2" shorter than the 27" so the brake pads just needed to be lowered about 1/4". I need to build up a fixed rear wheel anyway so I think I will just go 700c.

Anyone interested in a really nice set of 27s?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm confused now

Do I need different wheels (than 700c) to fit 27" tires, provided I have the break clearance?
Just ordered a set of Rolly-Polly's...

·
Registered
405 Posts
700C wheels may only have 700C tyres fitted to them (you can NOT fit 27" tyres to 700C wheels!).....

27" wheels may only have 27" tyres fitted to them (you can NOT fit 700C tyres to 27" wheels!)....

It's all here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Beethoven said:
Do I need different wheels (than 700c) to fit 27" tires, provided I have the break clearance?
Just ordered a set of Rolly-Polly's...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts