Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys --- I'm rebuilding my old bike from college (Bianchi steel) and part of that includes a new wheelset. I just scored a set of early '80s DuraAce 28H hubs that are NOS. My original plan was to get a pair of Mavic Open Pro/Sport in silver, however, with the hubs being 28H, the Open Pro 28H is only available in black. Additionally, after reading a few posts on here, I may need to reconsider the Mavic Open Pro altogether.

Any suggestions on silver 28H hubs with a classic low-profile box design?

Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have a website for kinlin? I wasn't able to find one on the first page of a google search. Should I have gone to page 2???? :)

The velocity razor looks like it'd do the job.

I also found these - DT Swiss RR415 28 Holes 700c Silver

Looks like I have at least a couple of great options! Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I do not think Kinlin has a website. The DT Swiss rim should be okay. I would have mentioned that one, but I thought you were looking for a lower profile rim. Some people had problems with cracks around the eyeless with the older RR1.1 single eyelet rims.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The 415 also comes as a 465 (double eyelet). The DT rims are what mavic used to be, solid, round and true. They are a pleasure to build with.

P.s. I have a set of 1.1 single eyelets that I use daily, no cracks.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
I'll second DT, they're excellent rims. I have two sets of 1.1s built on both Chris Kings (32h) and DT 240s (28h). I think the 465 is the new 1.1 but someone can correct me if that's not true.

·
Registered
891 Posts
DT Swiss makes great rims, and those are what I'm currently using. The RR1.1 was renamed RR415 for single eyelet and RR465 for double eyelet.

The RR465 comes in 28 holes in white only. You need a RR415 if you want gray. Some stores advertise 28 hole RR465 in other colors. I just called DT Swiss, and they told me the stores are probably confusing them with RR415.

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
I'm getting my 28h campy hubs built up with Velocity Escape (tubular) rims next week. I'm taking the Mavic Open Pros off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Keep in mind a lot of the "race" rims are only 14-15 mm inside and running anything larger than a 25 tire is not recommended. Depending on your weight. The older steel Bianchi's can handle much wider tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am seriously considering building a new wheelset with dura ace hubs and velocity A23 rims. The A23s are 23mm wide instead of the usual 19. I ride 25mm tires and like the smoother ride they give. The wider rim should improve the ride even more as well as improving cornering confidence.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for all the opinions and here's the update just in case you cared. :) I looked through the Kinlin price list from Alchemy cycles, and the prices looked good. I'd bet they're a quality rim as you wouldn't have reccomended them. but in the end they seemed a little bit exotic to me. This wheelset is going to end up costing me about $500 and its a real stretch in my budget so I really can't afford to experiment, as much as I'd like to try something new/different.

My LBS called the Velocity folks and the Razor is no longer available in Silver/28H and their website needs to be updated. They suggested the Aeromax, which looked like a great rim,but I ended up ordering the DT Swiss RR415 as the profile seemed more to what I'm looking for aesthetically and all the great reviews and reccomendations pushed it over the top!

It'll be a couple of weeks for the rims to come in and the wheels to get built, but I'll post pics! Thanks for all your help!
Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts