Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see what my options are for 28h tubular rims. I know of Velocity and Ambrosio, although Ambrosio availability is sketchy.

Who else? Is the Reflex available in 28h? Didn't realize that Mavic closed at 4pm on Fridays.

I don't mind Velocity, but I'd prefer something with eyelets. I also work at a shop, so it'd be nice if it was available from a manufacturer and not eBay.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yes, reflex come in 28h as well..

- damn, i can't think of any other manfuacturer, apart from kinlin that do tubular rims (they do a 25mm @ 440g IIRC)...

u may want to get them from your shop, but u can honestly do better ebay.... some very good deals going at the mo....

IMO some of the better tubbie rims are old-skool!

i heard not great things about reflex.... apparently the older gp4s were better.... Velocity's escape is s'posed to make the best, strongest rim at the mo in that profile (even if not eyeletted)... don't forget the pro-elite if u want a 30mm stiff rim...

apart from that ambrosio f20 cronos are damn sexxy... but not everyone likes them...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tend to think Mavic rims in general are made out to be a little better than what they really are.

i already have a set of 38mm Edge tubulars, but am looking to build a cheaper wheelset for commuting/ everything.

debating between tubeless and tubular...riding some tubeless this weekend. as of now, i like the idea of another tubular setup. but, rim choice is scant. building up with white DT 240s, which only come in 28h.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
the specific issue of the mavic i hear is that around eyelet failue, so yeah... i also don;t think mavic are that good, but their older rims when they weren't concentrating on factory builds were better...

commuting huh? so you're gunna build with what spokes? if you don't care about weight, i would have suggested nemesis, but they don't come in 28 IIRC. the f20s are sometimes criticised re: being flexy... but given they weigh about the same as reflex @ 370g, and not the quoted 340, they should be ok..

dt 240s sound nice... i take it they were from the mon-chasseral? u might be able to match them to the velocity rims in white, if they can be converted to tubeless? i have no idea which rims would be compatible... never seen that set up here in OZ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.