Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is only has limited appeal on this forum, but I'm proud to have bought the first complete Firemans Texas Cruzer 29er off the line. It's a stock build, except for saddle, pedals, stem, and grips. Painted-to-match Profile 180s and Sinz bar. Old-school Profile tri-fan chainring, Avid brakes, Rhyno-lite rims with DTs and Bulletproof hubs. Once up to speed, this thing is a runaway train - those big wheels just swallow up every bump and keep on a rollin'. Greg Mundy and the guys at Firemans here in Austin have built themselves a winner - you won't believe how fast this bike is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a black 29 inch Firemans Texas Cruzer at Ozone Bikes in Austin on Saturday. It is the first one the store got to sell. It is sweet. I have been looking at these bikes for a year now. I rode the 29 inch prototype at the Real Ale Ride in May and just fell in love with it.

Yay!!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
austingirl69 said:
I got a black 29 inch Firemans Texas Cruzer at Ozone Bikes in Austin on Saturday. It is the first one the store got to sell. It is sweet. I have been looking at these bikes for a year now. I rode the 29 inch prototype at the Real Ale Ride in May and just fell in love with it.
I saw that matte black one being built at the Fireman's shop - what a beauty! I rode the prototype at Wheelieman's Hill Country Cruze and had the same response as you. As soon as Greg got them in, I was knocking on his door! Post a picture, austingirl!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
asterisk said:
Just curious, how does it handle/feel/ride differently than an SS 29'er?

The baby blue is classic, esp with the matching cranks and bars.
It really has more in common with an old-school 26" BMX bike than anything - like an OM Flyer (which the 26" version was reportedly based on), Mongoose KOS cruiser, or a Cook Bros. The seat tube angle is 66 degrees, so it's WAY laid back, and the top tube is 24" so it's WAY stretched out. The head angle is comparatively steep, so it turns on a dime, but the longish chainstays and tall gearing (mid-60s G.I.s) don't make it much of a climber. The damn thing hauls some serious ass, though!

And yes, the "SE Racing blue" is a classic!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
austingirl69 said:
Hey BianchiJoe, I will post pictures as soon as I am able. Probably this weekend.

Are you going to the Real Ale Anniversary party on Saturday?
I went out of town for a week and missed the Real Ale ride, although a lot of my friends went :(

Now let's see that cruzer!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
BianchiJoe..
WOW...What a sweet ride.. and my favorite color.... when you get tired of it, give me a call down here in San Antonio and I'll come up and get it for you...
Sorry, drooled on my keyboard... How do I get in touch with Firemans?
Colorado Jeff

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J-No said:
Hot bike. I'm looking for a BMX cruiser myself. I'm 5'9" and ride a 54 cm road frame. Would the 29'er be too big? I won't be racing BMX with it, just riding with the kids.

The baby blue is sweet.
I don't think it would be too big, but the 26" would undoubtedly fit you, and it makes a great "play bike" for cruising the neighborhood and jumping curbs, etc.. Unlike new school BMX bikes, Fireman Greg designs his with long enough seat tubes to give you some actual leg extension, regardless of the wheel size. Even his 24" bikes are big enough for grown-ups!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks. The seat post extension thing was my concern. The smaller wheels would probably be better for someone of my height.

The only thinkg that is preventing me from pullling the triggger is the price. SE racing has a 26'er for $600. I'll have to think on it for a while. A white 26'er may be in my future.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
J-No said:
The only thinkg that is preventing me from pullling the triggger is the price. SE racing has a 26'er for $600. I'll have to think on it for a while. A white 26'er may be in my future.
Yes, you definitely pay for the made-in-USA frame.

That SE OM Flyer is a nice bike. I hear of two consistent problems with it, though - the headset is apparently crap and the crankset is notorious for creaking. Neither should be difficult to fix, however. I think it sports a 15" seat tube.

Check out the Swobo Folsom for more generous leg extension (and a price of $500), but you have to be okay with a coaster brake. Also, the Volume Sledgehammer has been getting some attention, although apparently only the 2008 model is a full chromoly frame.

Best,
Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.