Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent a weekend fixing a worn-out old cabin in Lewiston, but managed to get on the bike for an hour going up to Buckhorn summit. The road was surprisingly rideable, with shoulders and long sight lines in both directions, and only a 5% or so grade. The sign at the top warns that the grade up from Whiskeytown is 8%, about half the slope I ride every night coming home. Traffic was light, even on Memorial day, and I got a wave or two from passing vehicles.

I'm wondering if other riders have done this route. We get up there a few times a year, but I've never seen anyone riding in the area. There are some mountain biking routes, and the Lemurian MTB race every year nearby, but for some reason bike tourists are scarcer than cognac glasses at the Lewiston Hotel (my cousin researched the latter, and I can, er, vouch for his findings).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to do that ride sometime. I also found a guy who publishes bike tour maps for various areas, and one of his tours is from Yreka down through Weaverville and Hayfork. He says these roads are all selected for good riding.

Caltrans out in Humboldt has a bike tour map of their section of 299, complete with an elevation profile, but nothing for Trinity that I can find.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
KWillets said:
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to do that ride sometime. I also found a guy who publishes bike tour maps for various areas, and one of his tours is from Yreka down through Weaverville and Hayfork. He says these roads are all selected for good riding.

Caltrans out in Humboldt has a bike tour map of their section of 299, complete with an elevation profile, but nothing for Trinity that I can find.
There's nothing but great riding in the Weaverville area. The closer you get to Redding the busier 299 gets but it's hard to complain with the riding. You hinted at it, but if there were one section of road in Trinity County that I'd ride, it'd be Scott Mountain Summit on HWY 3. If you're extra ambitious, you can make a loop of it, cut over to Weed on and back and put in three epic mountain passes :) The south side of Scott Mountain on HWY 3 is something that has to be seent to be believed - it's an epic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.