Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering a new mountain bike with the 29'er set up. I don't really care for the stock wheels, which led me to wonder what kind of replacement wheels and tires are available. I have't found much online. And what I have found wasn't cheap. Does anyone have experience with these items?

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
I think that handbuilts are the way to go for pretty much all wheels, but especially mtb wheels. I've been rolling on Chris King hubs with Salsa Delgado rims on my Qring rigid 29er and love them. I had to replace a spoke due to a freak accident where a stick popped up into the spoke and had to replace them. My were built by a Steve at Roubaix Bike Shop in Greeley, Colorado, who did a killer job. They were about $950, and worth ever cent.

As far as hubs, there's lots of good ones, but after a lot of research I narrowed it down to Kings, Hadleys, and Phil Woods. The Phil Woods were cool, but a bit too much.

As far as rims, there's several good ones. One thing to think about is whether you want to go tubeless. That will affect your decision.

Check the mtbr.com 29er forum, which is quite good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What MTB wheel you should buy is dependent upon all kinds of different factors. What are you looking for in particular? What type of rider are you, what type of riding do you do, how heavy are you, Single or geared, how much are you willing to spend? These are important questinos to consider when buying any wheel.

That said, I've got King hubs laced up to Delgado Race rims for my Single speed. AC 320's for my geared 29er.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be using the bike mostly on fire roads, rail trails and occasion single track. But I also plan off road touring on rail trails canal trails with gear attached. I run about 190 lbs. And I've had problems with weak 26" rims in the past. Even on riveted rims I pull the spokes through.

I don't want to put $2000 dollar wheels on a $1000 bike either. I know I cold have something custom built, but I was looking for someplace with a pre-built selection to choose from with reasonable prices.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the links. Jenson has about the largest online selection I've seen. I thought I had looked there already, but apparently not.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You can get it below $500 as you said but if you have the money and you're willing to pay more to enjoy less weight (and or more bling) then why not, thanks for the links btw.

PeanutButterBreath said:
Above $500 you are just paying for lighter weight and/or bling, IMO. DT and CK hubs are nice, but you can save hundreds of dollars by going with Shimano XT.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/150-Wheels.aspx?s=1418

Of course, if you eschew the high-dollar hubs, you can get handbuilts for much less than $1000. I would try to get in touch with this guy -- I am sure he can recommend a wheel that will meet your needs: http://www.lacemine29.com/index-3.html

·
Banned
185 Posts
KinLin make some nice 29er rims, the XD-230 and XD-280.

I have a 230 front, 280 rear combo laced to DT Swiss 340 hubs. They take a beating and come back for more. Cost was less than $500.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts