Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm again putting out a lounge-wide invitation for any and all lowjers to come down to Lynchburg for the Central Virginia Bike Festival on May 17. We tried to get a few folks to join us last year but couldn't quite pull it off.

The CVBF is a local ride that raises money for the local cancer treatment center. If we can get a few folks to join us we'd like to have a cookout and maybe a short ride on the 16th as well. We have an extra bedroom, floor space and a big yard if anyone would like to camp inside or out.

The ride has 20,40,60 & 100 options with a lot of short, steep climbs on the 20 & 40. The 60 and 100 include the 13 mile 5% climb up thunder ridge on the Parkway. The scenery is awesome especially the 40,60 & 100. I'd be up for any of the routes if we can get a lounge group together.

My wife and I would love to have a few visitors join us on the 16th & 17th. We'll supply the food and board, you supply your beverages.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Put me and Girlygirl down as possibles. It sounds a little scary--we're not exactly built for hills--but it should be fun. We just need to check out schedule.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikeboy389 said:
Put me and Girlygirl down as possibles. It sounds a little scary--we're not exactly built for hills--but it should be fun. We just need to check out schedule.
I hope you all can make it. The climbs on the 40 are fairly short (< 1 mile) but sometimes steep. And the 13 miler on the 60 isn't very steep, just LONG. I think the 40 would be a great option for most everyone and it has some of the best scenery of the routes.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a bump for you folks sleeping in on Sunday....

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Where in central Va are you? The ride is tickling my interest. I've spent time in Harrisonburg, and never had a chance to ride in the Valley....

Also, it's a pretty easy drive from where I am.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
murbike said:
Where in central Va are you? The ride is tickling my interest. I've spent time in Harrisonburg, and never had a chance to ride in the Valley....

Also, it's a pretty easy drive from where I am.
Nevermind, I just found the link to the ride in your post.
Not that far from Hburg, or from Richmond.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
It's tempting, however I'm doing a ride in late summer called Mountain Momma and it's in that general area if I'm mistaken. (And it's a 7 hour drive for me).

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Einstruzende said:
It's tempting, however I'm doing a ride in late summer called Mountain Momma and it's in that general area if I'm mistaken. (And it's a 7 hour drive for me).
Mountain momma is a great ride as well. A good bit tougher than our ride. Actually one of the tougher rides anywhere IMHO. I did it last year on my singlespeed, the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike.

If you can make it down our way we'd love to have you.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're a bit less than 2 hours from either place. Come on down and join us.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
I'd be up for the 100 miler... I don't think I have any races planned that weekend. 13 mile climb @ 5% sounds like my dream climb!

It's a four hour drive though... that sort of sucks!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vonteity said:
I'd be up for the 100 miler... I don't think I have any races planned that weekend. 13 mile climb @ 5% sounds like my dream climb!

It's a four hour drive though... that sort of sucks!
Come on down. You get the big climb on the 60 as well if that is enough punishment. I'd be up for any of them but it would be nice to ride as a group for a while. The 40,60 and 100 stay together for the first 20 or so. Come down Sat, eat & drink saturday night. Then feel fat and hungover and go for the 60 instead of the 100.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I'll have to pull out my handy dandy calendar in the morning and see. It could be doable.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Sounds like fun. I'd like to try to make it. Thinking about hitting Louisville and doing some bourbon before heading your way. Anybody have a spare 56cm road bike?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rwbadley said:
Sounds like fun. I'd like to try to make it. Thinking about hitting Louisville and doing some bourbon before heading your way. Anybody have a spare 56cm road bike?
You bring bourbon and I'll supply my 55 (56 equiv) Lemond for the ride.

VA

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Count me in, I'll pm for details...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To quote my latest email from the wife.

"Bring on the loungers. It'll be FUN! "

If there are any extras I might have to get her a lounge jersey for this event..(Small)

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rwbadley said:
Count me in, I'll pm for details...
Great! Hopefully we've got the ball rolling.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
VaughnA said:
Come on down. You get the big climb on the 60 as well if that is enough punishment. I'd be up for any of them but it would be nice to ride as a group for a while. The 40,60 and 100 stay together for the first 20 or so. Come down Sat, eat & drink saturday night. Then feel fat and hungover and go for the 60 instead of the 100.
Can't... need the miles!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
vonteity said:
Can't... need the miles!
Well RWBadly wants to do the 100 so I guess you could have some company. If I can get back into shape after this fat induced winter I'd be up for the 100. I did it last year but I was 10 lbs lighter and had a lot more miles under my belt. I guess I better get crackin'

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
VaughnA said:
Well RWBadly wants to do the 100 so I guess you could have some company. If I can get back into shape after this fat induced winter I'd be up for the 100. I did it last year but I was 10 lbs lighter and had a lot more miles under my belt. I guess I better get crackin'
'Wants' would be too strong of a word ;-) I figure with my few days of bourbon hunting before the ride I'll probably be quite happy to make it through the 60. I'll certainly play it by ear tho- and figure the metric as the attainable goal for the moment

1 - 20 of 21 Posts