Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

This year I will be racing Tubulars for the first time. I have set of FMB SSC 34's that I will be racing, and will also have a set of clinchers with Michelin Muds. If I was to go with a 2nd tubular wheelset, what would you recommend? For reference I live in Chicago and will be racing throughout the midwest. I was thinking the Challenge Griffos with the file thread for early season dry races.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I have been thinking along similar lines since I have two sets of tubulars and one set of clinchers. I decided to go with all-around tires on both sets of tubulars and use the clinchers to run the special case treads (semi-slicks for fast-dry days and something grippier for mud/deep snow).

My thinking is that this way I will be on tubulars most of the time, with the exceptions being conditions when having tubulars is less of an advantage (relatively speaking & IMO).

I thought about running a faster dry conditions tire on one set of tubulars, but that would be a wasted set of wheels for most days.

Plus, the tubulars take longer to fix so if something goes wrong, so it will be handy to have two sets that can back each other up in all conditions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
I have been thinking along similar lines since I have two sets of tubulars and one set of clinchers. I decided to go with all-around tires on both sets of tubulars and use the clinchers to run the special case treads (semi-slicks for fast-dry days and something grippier for mud/deep snow).

My thinking is that this way I will be on tubulars most of the time, with the exceptions being conditions when having tubulars is less of an advantage (relatively speaking & IMO).

I thought about running a faster dry conditions tire on one set of tubulars, but that would be a wasted set of wheels for most days.

Plus, the tubulars take longer to fix so if something goes wrong, so it will be handy to have two sets that can back each other up in all conditions.
Your thinking makes sense to me. Maybe put Michelin Jets on my clinchers for the fast/dry races where running super low pressure doesn't matter as much, and have two sets of tubies that can handle the soft to muddy race situations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.