Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For last year I've been riding Campy Shamal clinchers as everyday & race wheel, mostly with Vittoria Open Corsa CXII tires. The Shamals have been great all-around wheels - super durable, light (1450g actual weight), and nice looking.

I've been toying with idea of a 2nd wheelset, probably Reynolds or Edge carbon rims in a nominal 68mm depth. Intended use: crits and road races, or occasional group rides where I just want to drill it with everything I can muster.

Thoughts/opinions on whether the 2nd wheelset ought to be clincher vs tubular? Again, this would not be for everyday use.

Perceived advantages of tubular:
- lighter by a few 100 g.
- potentially safer in a pack, should a front flat occur (if glued properly).

Perceived Disadvantage:
- cost and hassle of repairing flatted tires.
- hassle of tire changes, in general.
- having to buy & stock a different tire.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd get the tubulars because the ride feel is better, in my opinion. That is all I;m riding at the moment.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daren said:
I'd get the tubulars because the ride feel is better, in my opinion. That is all I;m riding at the moment.
Have you ever tried a Vittoria Open Corsa CXII clincher with latex tubes? I've generally been using those as my everyday clincher. It's the same 320 TPI tire casing, as Vittoria's Open Corsa tubulars, with rim bead added.

A friend (relatively new to tubulars) told me of a rear flat he had during a crit. Apparently it took him a while to notice it was flat (!). Perhaps due to the absence of a rim "sidewall", and more tire cushioning available in the vertical direction?

Sometimes I (briefly) think of the consequences of a front clincher tire flat, in a 40-45 MPH, downhill pack of racers. I discard that mental picture quickly as possible :shudder:

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ewitz said:
Tubulars in a 46mm rim depth.

With tubular tape none of your concerns are a real hassle. I can change a tubular flat as fast as I can change a tube.
Why 46mm?
For a pack race & special event wheel, I'm tempted to go all out for a 68mm-range rim.

Granted, 68mm would be a handful in high crosswinds. I can always fall back to the Shamal wheel, which is quite good all-around.

·
Registered
379 Posts
tom_h said:
Have you ever tried a Vittoria Open Corsa CXII clincher with latex tubes? I've generally been using those as my everyday clincher. It's the same 320 TPI tire casing, as Vittoria's Open Corsa tubulars, with rim bead added.

A friend (relatively new to tubulars) told me of a rear flat he had during a crit. Apparently it took him a while to notice it was flat (!). Perhaps due to the absence of a rim "sidewall", and more tire cushioning available in the vertical direction?

Sometimes I (briefly) think of the consequences of a front clincher tire flat, in a 40-45 MPH, downhill pack of racers. I discard that mental picture quickly as possible :shudder:
Not with latex tubes, no. The Vittoria's do have a nice feel to them, thiugh. They are what I used on my clinchers.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
tom_h said:
Why 46mm?
For a pack race & special event wheel, I'm tempted to go all out for a 68mm-range rim.

Granted, 68mm would be a handful in high crosswinds. I can always fall back to the Shamal wheel, which is quite good all-around.
68 are just too heavy. 46 are a nice balance of aero vs. weight if you are going to have only one race/event wheel.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,214 Posts
It seems to me that if you want the ideal setup for a special event/criterium you should go with an Edge 65 in the rear and a 45 up front. This way you would have a good balance of aerodynamics and weight and most importantly you wont have to worry about your front wheel being swept out from under you in strong cross winds.
Now as far as the clincher vs tubular arguement, if your going to be using this strictly for crits/special events you should definetly go tubular. The air column stack on a tubular provides much more supple riding characteristics while at the same time cornering much better. It is more of a "pyramid" style shape versus a bulbous shape on a clincher. And all though this may not seem very important, it will make it very easy to dive into the sharp hairpin turns that some crits require.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.