Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 2005 Record hubs built on Sun rims 2x F, 2x/3x R. I'm going to rebuild them, and kind of want to go 3x all around. Does anyone know if I will have visible (or - doubtfully - dangerous) grooves in the hub flange? I want the wheels to look clean, and don't want little burrs around the spoke elbows. I think it's just vanity, really...

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
SDizzle said:
I have some 2005 Record hubs built on Sun rims 2x F, 2x/3x R. I'm going to rebuild them, and kind of want to go 3x all around. Does anyone know if I will have visible (or - doubtfully - dangerous) grooves in the hub flange? I want the wheels to look clean, and don't want little burrs around the spoke elbows. I think it's just vanity, really...

I haven't rebuilt them, but here is a picture comparison of two wheels, both chorus, both 32 hole. The first one (on the bike) is 2X, second one is 3X.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You will see groves but only if you are less than two feet away and concentrating on it. I rebuilt a 28 hole dura-ace rear hub that was 2x but is now 3x.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fatctycycl said:
You will see groves but only if you are less than two feet away and concentrating on it. I rebuilt a 28 hole dura-ace rear hub that was 2x but is now 3x.
Do you like it better? Now I'm questioning why to bother with another lacing pattern. Can anyone tell me if there's a big difference in stiffness or strength - I don't break spokes, so strength, for me, equals frequency of truing sessions! - between 2x or 3x? Still 3x DS rear, for what it's worth. And I'll probably be using 14/15s all around, instead of Revos on three sides like the current build.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
SDizzle said:
Do you like it better? Now I'm questioning why to bother with another lacing pattern. Can anyone tell me if there's a big difference in stiffness or strength - I don't break spokes, so strength, for me, equals frequency of truing sessions! - between 2x or 3x? Still 3x DS rear, for what it's worth. And I'll probably be using 14/15s all around, instead of Revos on three sides like the current build.

I got the 2X wheel from Excelsports three years ago. I use it for racing and fast training rides and it has never had a spoke wrench on it. If there is an advantage to 2X vs 3X, I haven't noticed. I would imagine that there is a minor weight advantage since the spokes are shorter, but it wouldn't be significant. It is stiffer and in my mind feels more precise when cornering. I have two radial front wheels, it feels something like that.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
5 Posts
SDizzle said:
... And I'll probably be using 14/15s all around, instead of Revos on three sides like the current build.

Why are you switching from the Revos? Did you have any problems with maintenance or ride with your current setup?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jhs said:
Why are you switching from the Revos? Did you have any problems with maintenance or ride with your current setup?
I just don't like building with them. They're a little finnicky, and it's pretty tough to keep them from twisting sometimes. I like the no-bullsh!t approach of 14/15s, and won't be adding more than 100g or so to the wheelset. I can live with that.

Also - and I don't know if this is connected - I've had to true these wheels much more often than similar wheels built entirely on 14/15s. Again, I don't know if that's connected to spoke guage or quanitifiable. I think it just boils down to preference, maybe. I'm still considering the Revos, but 14/15s just seem more..."solid". Whatever that means.

·
Registered
234 Posts
wondering why....

l am not sure that I understand the reason for the rebuild. You do go on to say that the spokes are not your favs, but I don't see anything else. If you are having trouble with frequent retensioning, maybe you could do a maintenance partial tear-down, in which you put a dab or two of a good spokeprep, like the Wheelsmith (I think that is what I have), and tension them up properly and stress relieve them.

My experience is that the marks, if any, on the flange won't be a safety problem. Why not just repeat the build as you have it? I like that pattern that you have (2x F, 2x/3x R), and I think that it works well for many riders.

SDizzle said:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Spoke Stretch

I ride three sets of home built wheels with Revolutions all the way around. The problems that I've had seems to be spoke stretch on the driveside rear. After the second truing they stay pretty solid but I re-true them at least once a year anyway. The 36 spoke 6-speed wheel has never been a problem but the 32 spoke 9-speed and 10-speed wheels require a lot of tension on the driveside in order to get enough tension on the non-driveside, and that's where the stretch comes occurs.

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts