Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will soon be assembling my new fixed gear bike. Was all set to go with a 3/32" drivetrain, per Sheldon Brown's recommendation. After admiring the beautiful 1/8" chainring on my Campagnolo Pista crankset, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy an 1/8" inch chain and use it. Already have 2 EAI cogs that are 3/32". Can I use them? Would that be a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
hypnos said:
Will soon be assembling my new fixed gear bike. Was all set to go with a 3/32" drivetrain, per Sheldon Brown's recommendation. After admiring the beautiful 1/8" chainring on my Campagnolo Pista crankset, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy an 1/8" inch chain and use it. Already have 2 EAI cogs that are 3/32". Can I use them? Would that be a bad idea?
It works fine but it's loud as he!!.....The drivertrain had a lot more noise with 3/32 and 1/8 chain. To be fair, it was both chain ring and cog that where 3/32". Personally, I never liked 1/8" chains. All three ss/fixed are 3/32"

·
Registered
84 Posts
FWIW...I'd go all 1/8th

I'm riding 1/8th D/A track cranks/44T ring, 1/8th Miche cog/carrier and a Wipperman Silver 1/8th chain.

The drivetrain is super quiet, super strong, and will last thousands of miles.

Actually the only noise I've heard, was Sheldon who, when I stopped in to pick up the cogs and a backup chainring, tried to talk me into a 3/32nd. drivetrain.

When I told him that the bike was built w/Campy long dropouts and set up for 1/8th, he quieted down...some.

I think that his major issues regarding 1/8th vs. 3/32nd concern parts cost/availability more than anything else. As my FG/SS is not a rebuild of an older road frame, and I wasn't concerned about paying $15.00 for a 1/8th chain when a 3/32nd could be had for $9.00, or picking up a 1/8th SS freewheel when 3/32nd are much easier to find...the stronger/quieter option seemed the right way to go...

Additionally, I'm more confident in my 1/8th cogs than I would be riding 3/32nd.There's something to be said for the extra couple of threads engaged on the hub...

JMHO...

PH

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
samcat said:
I'm riding 1/8th D/A track cranks/44T ring, 1/8th Miche cog/carrier and a Wipperman Silver 1/8th chain.

The drivetrain is super quiet, super strong, and will last thousands of miles.

Actually the only noise I've heard, was Sheldon who, when I stopped in to pick up the cogs and a backup chainring, tried to talk me into a 3/32nd. drivetrain.

When I told him that the bike was built w/Campy long dropouts and set up for 1/8th, he quieted down...some.

I think that his major issues regarding 1/8th vs. 3/32nd concern parts cost/availability more than anything else. As my FG/SS is not a rebuild of an older road frame, and I wasn't concerned about paying $15.00 for a 1/8th chain when a 3/32nd could be had for $9.00, or picking up a 1/8th SS freewheel when 3/32nd are much easier to find...the stronger/quieter option seemed the right way to go...

Additionally, I'm more confident in my 1/8th cogs than I would be riding 3/32nd.There's something to be said for the extra couple of threads engaged on the hub...

JMHO...

PH
I agree. All 1/8 works well as does all 3/32. The noise came when I used a 1/8 chain with 3/32 cog and ring

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.