Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is the "Save Some Weight" forum a strange place? A post and 15 replies about saving 3.4 grams on a seat post clamp? Me? I'd get the stronger one and clip my toe nails.

Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. -- Winston Churchill

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
It's not just you - that is sort of an alternate universe. But hey, it's a hobby. A little closer to teapot collecting for my tastes, but c'mon. You know that Red is lighter than DA, and a piece of you does that math for a moment when you are buying new things for the ride. We may not be all the way to crazy, but we can see the mailbox from here.

Besides, everyone should have a bike they're afraid to ride.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
When ever I get the hankering to buy some super light weight part for a bike, I strip naked and stand in front of a mirror...The reminder I need to lose a few pounds is usually enough to put the light weight part back.....

I sure do get some strange looks in the store when I stand in front of the mirror naked...:D

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know a guy that has the WW affliction really bad. He could mull over the decision whether or not to buy a titanium seat binder bolt for 35 miles. It was like he was changing careers or contemplating matrimony. But, he got in over 9K miles last year in northern Illinois and I think he's adjusted to riding alone.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
meh, all those small weights discussed in grams makes me figure it's just a front for a cocaine ring.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
When ever I get the hankering to buy some super light weight part for a bike, I strip naked and stand in front of a mirror...The reminder I need to lose a few pounds is usually enough to put the light weight part back.....

I sure do get some strange looks in the store when I stand in front of the mirror naked...:D

Dewd, Mellow Johnny's had to burn the video of that day....

·
Super Moderator
40,840 Posts
oily666 said:
Is it just me, or is the "Save Some Weight" forum a strange place? A post and 15 replies about saving 3.4 grams on a seat post clamp? Me? I'd get the stronger one and clip my toe nails...
They truly are what happens when bicycles have eating disorders.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish drilling out the nonessential bits from my carbon-fiber bottle cage....

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Given that I ride to get fitter and stronger, it seems to me that a heavy bike is essential. That's why I filled my handlebars and seat tube with buckshot--it cuts down on vibration too.

Those WW weaklings can't hope to ride MY bike.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Dave Hickey said:

Too funny!!!!

But if I were to try it, does that mean I'd wanna get heavier bike parts? :D

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
It's kinda fun to browse through the threads once in awhile. That reminds me, I haven't gone into that forum for a loooong time now.

//Will using less bar tape save me 3.14159 grams?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Didn't Hickey get tossed (c0d3) when he ask to test ride a new saddle in the buff.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
You don't think the Lounge is a strange place?

:ciappa:

Yes, I can admit as a WW, things can get a little obsessive at times.

Me personally, it s a hobby and fun! But I have also learned to tone it back a bit on some things that are just better for the sake of comfort, looks, etc.
Like better bar tape, saddles, etc.

But to think a WW is not strong, durable or comfortable to ride is absurd!

Its not like the old days were you had to drill out parts. Most pro bikes with out added weight are in the WW and are very durable.

But eyes, sometimes pondering saving 3.2g for $50 is very strange! :D

But ride a WW MTB and you will REALLY notice a difference in your riding and speed.

Again, for most WW it's about the challenge and fun. Not that it will make us faster or anything. Also many new WW parts are just nicer than the regular heavy stuff.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
do carbon fiber bottle cages REALLLY make that big of a difference over *gasp* aluminum?!?!?!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
:ciappa:

Yes, I can admit as a WW, things can get a little obsessive at times.

Me personally, it s a hobby and fun! But I have also learned to tone it back a bit on some things that are just better for the sake of comfort, looks, etc.
Like better bar tape, saddles, etc.

But to think a WW is not strong, durable or comfortable to ride is absurd!

Its not like the old days were you had to drill out parts. Most pro bikes with out added weight are in the WW and are very durable.

But eyes, sometimes pondering saving 3.2g for $50 is very strange! :D

But ride a WW MTB and you will REALLY notice a difference in your riding and speed.

Again, for most WW it's about the challenge and fun. Not that it will make us faster or anything. Also many new WW parts are just nicer than the regular heavy stuff.
Fanboiii :D

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
old_fuji said:
do carbon fiber bottle cages REALLLY make that big of a difference over *gasp* aluminum?!?!?!
Looks on certain bikes? yes!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
uzziefly said:
Of course! ts how I got my start in the business :D :idea:

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
old_fuji said:
they allow you to change water bottles more often after you have send it flying across the road

1 - 20 of 29 Posts