Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our usual Thursday group ride was destroyed by a reckless driver. Thankfully, I missed out due to being at Sea Otter. The 70 something year old driver hit riders with his mirror, taking out all but 2 in an 18 rider group. Thankfully, nobody was killed. CHP decided not to charge the driver for some strange reason...

CHP urges drivers to be more cautious after several bicyclists injured by truck in Merced County | abc30.com

The comments people make are ridiculous, I guess if you are out for exercise, your life doesn't matter, if you were in a pack of mobility scooters they would give you wide berth...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jesus

I'm surprised the bikers didn't get ticketed for failing to yield to his mirror. It's lucky that there weren't worse injuries.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
didn't charge the driver after hitting four people even though there is a 3-foot law on the books.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Even if you don't live there, write the local legislators on this one. If the cyclists were riding properly and 3 feet should have been given, it seems like some kind of citation is in order...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well, our usual Thursday group ride was destroyed by a reckless driver. Thankfully, I missed out due to being at Sea Otter. The 70 something year old driver hit riders with his mirror, taking out all but 2 in an 18 rider group. Thankfully, nobody was killed. CHP decided not to charge the driver for some strange reason...

CHP urges drivers to be more cautious after several bicyclists injured by truck in Merced County | abc30.com

The comments people make are ridiculous, I guess if you are out for exercise, your life doesn't matter, if you were in a pack of mobility scooters they would give you wide berth...
What I learned from being struck by a motorist (and discussion with an LEO neighbor) is that CHP is not likely to issue a ticket unless malice or the use of drugs/alcohol is clear. With an at-fault driver, CHP writes a collision report that clearly blames the driver; then the insurance companies do their thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts