Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier in the winter I bought a Cateye Tl-LD1000 tail light. People at work were saying they'd pass by me on the way home and the tail light I was using was not adequately visable. Once I got the Cateye, they were very impressed with how well they could see me. So whenever anyone posted a question here asking for tail light recommendations, I'd recommend the Cateye.
A few nights ago, I'm riding to work and I hear something rattle on the road behind me. I figured I had run over a piece of plastic and thought nothing of it. When I get to work, I turn off my headlight, but when I go to turn off the tail light, the [email protected] ain't there. Now I realized what that rattling was. Poof, $30 gone. I kept it clipped onto the nice thick, tight tail light strap that's on the back of my TopPeak rear trunk. The damn roads here are so rough it just got bounced right off. I ordered another one today and will find a way to strap the mother in so it will never part ways with the rack trunk again.
I suppose I could end the post by asking if anyone has had this happen to them as well, if nothing else but to make this look like something other than a rambling, whining rant.
So, anyone else lose a tail light?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
So, anyone else lose a tail light?
No but I can whine about the headlight I dropped a month ago. I saw it fall off of course and went back to pick it up. Well, don't keep your hopes up if you drop the light going 30mph, it was roadkill. Sadly, there was only one guy to blame, the idjot that did not make sure it was fastened sufficiently.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've been disappointed in my cateye 1000 as the battery cover seems very finicky. It has to be screwed on, but not all the way or else it does not work at all, and sometimes, after going over a few bumps it quits working until I futz around with the position of the cap... yeah - a $30 waste of money. I used a paperclip to strap it on through the clip - I lost another light before from bumps...

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I've passed several smashed ones that fell off and got run over but never lost one of my own.

The good news is that $30.00 is about how much beer I consume on a weekend. At least it wasn't a rim self destructing or a frame shattering in a pothole. I have a cateye tail light but can't remember which model. I was kind of paranoid it would fall off so I used the seatpost attachment and mounted it down low but still visible. So far so good.

·
Registered
611 Posts
At least your light worked until you lost it. I bought a Planet Bike taillight that was on sale for $10, and has a nice battery-saving feature. It works when you first turn it on, but after a couple of minutes, it shuts itself off. I've tried cleaning and adjusting the battery contacts, but to no avail. I'm thinking it might make a decent (albeit intermittent) xmas tree decoration.:rolleyes:

Jim

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Yeah but I was on a gravel road at the time, so no sense complaining. I think a pick-up truck flattened it before I could save it. Oh well.

:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I lost two in one week on Gavin Newsom's roads. Both were using clips. I can't remember the first one, but the second was a Performance brand that ended up as just a sheared-off clip in the holder. Eventually I got a Blackburn Mars screw-mount model, and screwed it to the rack with a rubbery spacer and a lockwasher. So far it's stayed with me.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
KWillets said:
I lost two in one week on Gavin Newsom's roads. Both were using clips. I can't remember the first one, but the second was a Performance brand that ended up as just a sheared-off clip in the holder. Eventually I got a Blackburn Mars screw-mount model, and screwed it to the rack with a rubbery spacer and a lockwasher. So far it's stayed with me.

Mine is glued to the clip. I have lost a total of three tail lights, which is why is use cheapos.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have lost 4 or 5 over the years. They either bounce out of the quick release mechanism, or the screw comes undone and the whole thing falls off.

I wish they would make them without the quick release, and include a bottle of locktight with them.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Fred Meyer (local grocer/dept. store) sells 2" diameter reflector/LED tail lights for $8. It has only one mode - blink annoyingly - but it's surprisingly bright, and I figure when it comes to tail lights annoying is good. It's sold in the checkout racks, next to the toenail clippers, keychains, and pocket horoscope books. $8 well spent IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a trek LED tail light that I had clipped onto the loop on my seat pack which is intended for that purpose... it fell off twice on the first ride, luckily I heard it both times and was able to find the pieces.

Now I clip it to my camelbak or clothing, they're just not rugged enough to withstand the jarring of most roads, even when mounted on the included bracket.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
den bakker said:
No but I can whine about the headlight I dropped a month ago. I saw it fall off of course and went back to pick it up. Well, don't keep your hopes up if you drop the light going 30mph, it was roadkill. Sadly, there was only one guy to blame, the idjot that did not make sure it was fastened sufficiently.
I'll call it a learning experience. There is a hole at the end of my rack where I can screw in a bracket to attach the light with nuts, bolts and Locktite. I avoided using it because the waterbottle pouch at the backside of the rack trunk might obstruct it. But with some creative taping or just cutting off the pouch, I can work something.
I've had no problems with the light other than that. It's survived a full 2000k's of winter commuting in Maine on studded tires, and icechunked roads. I've had first hand feedback from motorists who say the other light (a CATEYE SL-LD100) wasn't bright enough for safety, and also said the new Cateye was plenty bright. I've dropped the tailight several times while using it as a flashlight and it's never cracked or broken, so I'm confident in its sturdiness.
I may be an idiot, but I'm not stupid enough to pay another $30 for a light unless it has proven itself worth every penny.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thorn Bait said:
I've been disappointed in my cateye 1000 as the battery cover seems very finicky. It has to be screwed on, but not all the way or else it does not work at all, and sometimes, after going over a few bumps it quits working until I futz around with the position of the cap... yeah - a $30 waste of money. I used a paperclip to strap it on through the clip - I lost another light before from bumps...

I have the same light, and the EXACT same problem. I leave with it blinking nice and bright, 5 minutes later I look back and it's either very dim or off completely. I keep meaning to put some tape over the end, to squeeze the cap tighter against the plastic body.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
gubawatts said:
Now I clip it to my camelbak or clothing, they're just not rugged enough to withstand the jarring of most roads, even when mounted on the included bracket.
That's what I do. I've never lost one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
CatEye Warranty

I got TWO of the big Cateye TL1000's. Bounced one off the pavement on its first ride using the bag strap/clip on method - picked it up before it got run over and it seemed to do fine, but that was only for an hour or so in the morning. Then went on an all-night ride with both of them and they both faded out almost immediately as described above. I twisted, tweaked, taped, reset them all night and they still died out no matter what I did. At home a few days later I just sat one on a table to run and it faded out.

So I called Cateye's 1-800 warrranty number, finally talked to a guy... he says "yeah, there were some vibration problems with it. Got some new ones that have fixed the problem. Send them in and we'll replace them." A week later I receieved 2 new ones.

Took one of them on another all night ride - worked great all night. Now my only problem seems to be gettign them to stay orented the way I want to point them 0 they are so heavy they want to "droop".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.