Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching NBC nightly news and they just did a feature on a female US triathlete. They said she goes through 30 tires a year.

They also said she ran 1400 miles this year and went through 20+ pairs of shoes.

Neither of these can be possible, or at least necessary. She must change both when they are dirty??

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I dunno, 30 tires doesn't seem unreasonable. That's 15 tire changes, and assuming she is racing, she's using racing tires, which don't last as long as a training tire. I'm sure she doesn't wait until they are threadbare before putting on new ones, just to reduce the risk of a flat.

I know nothing about shoes, but I know a few folks who own 20+ pairs of shoes, but they aren't running shoes :p~

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! Re:shoes. I know people who do ultra's and they dont even come close to 20 pairs, although they have real jobs.

Tires. I can usually get a good 500+ miles even on race tires. She is only racing 40k. Idk. Maybe you are right. That just seems absurd to me. Obviously, im sure she is sponsored, so changing tires about once a month probably aint no thing. But, still no way she is "going through" 30 tires in a year while also training the run and swim, IMO. same with shoes.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
I'm calling BS on a pair of shoes lasting 70 miles on average if that is what was said. I can't dispute one "going through" a pair every 70 miles if they choose to or if their sponsor(s) support doing. But it isn't due to service life of the shoe in such a case.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm calling BS on a pair of shoes lasting 70 miles on average if that is what was said. I can't dispute one "going through" a pair every 70 miles if they choose to or if their sponsor(s) support doing. But it isn't due to service life of the shoe in such a case.
My HS cross-country coach was a world class marathoner - his personal best was a 2:25. He used to send the team out on an 8-10 mile training run, wait about 10 minutes, then take off. He'd pass the whole team and be back at school before the first team member made it back.

He worked with a couple of running shoe manufacturers and said that good running shoes lasted 50-75 miles before the support broke down enough that the shoes needed to be replaced. Cheaper shoes broke down much earlier or never provided the proper support to begin with. For him he went through ~50 pairs a year. Since he wasn't sponsored he paid for all of them.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I'd go broke.. tri's cost money no doubt. I pay 35-40 for a RR or Crit and a sprint tri cost over $100. Something like Alcatraz Tri is $750

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, if this is true, why don't the shoe companies make this well known? Seems like an easy way to sell more shoes?? Perhaps they do? (I don't run)

I know people who might run 30+ miles a week. They need to replace shoes every two weeks?? Seems like that would require an $8,000+/year shoe budget?

I can understand all of this if the athletes are using race materials for training. But what is the point in that? Seems very wasteful.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
I work on a very high level pro triathlete's bikes. She's the real deal, won IM NZ pro women last year. I've probably glued maybe 8 or so tubulars so far this year and maybe a few clinchers. I don't think she's raced as much this year as would be normal for her, but she doesn't go through that many tires. Maybe if her equipment sponsors sent her more stuff, but it would be hard to believe someone actually wears out that much stuff. Uses it, maybe...'goes through it'? Seems like a stretch.

I have heard that shoes, especially racing shoes, don't last very long at all.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hmm, if this is true, why don't the shoe companies make this well known? Seems like an easy way to sell more shoes?? Perhaps they do? (I don't run).
not running shoes but when shopping for football (soccer) boots for my son recently the sales rep mentioned one pair of high end Nikes that were designed to last only around 10 games before they should be replaced. Super light weight etc and mega expensive.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
the life of running shoes is generally evaluated by the percent compression of the mid-sole, not visible wear of the outer-sole.

waiting until the outer-sole is worn out is a good way to get shin splints or plantar injuries...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the life of running shoes is generally evaluated by the percent compression of the mid-sole, not visible wear of the outer-sole.

waiting until the outer-sole is worn out is a good way to get shin splints or plantar injuries...
So helpful!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what shoes compress to what compression after how many miles??? Or how much compression?

Tires are usually worn when they are worn out. Sicko.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Is it 30 tires total, so 15 changes if doing front and rear at same time and not doing any sort of rotation? Doubtful she's paying for them anyway...

·
Registered
518 Posts

:thumbsup: Coach used to remind us to get new shoes around 1/3 and 2/3 way thorough the season. It was interesting that the runners that got new shoes always seemed to be healthy and the ones that didn't were ones fighting shin splints, and foot/ankle/knee problems.

All these shoe and tire changes must have worked, Gwen Jorgensen, the subject of the NBC feature, won the gold.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
So helpful!?!?!?!?
if you do a web search, you can find several sites that provide estimates on when to retire shoes.

depending on one's weight, shoe style, running style, and road surface the most commonly cited numbers are 300-500 miles.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
it would be hard to believe someone actually wears out that much stuff. Uses it, maybe...'goes through it'? Seems like a stretch.
At 1,000 miles per tire (VERY low mileage for a presumably lightweight rider doing steady TT pace) that's 30K miles of training per year on the bike. Not happening. Either a mistake on the part of the writer or hype on the part of the rider/sponsors.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts