Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $3000 to spend. I am debating between a Trek or a Felt. I am planning to get all Carbon frame/fork. It looks like I can pick up a Trek with a nicer frame but with only ultegra components. Or I can pick up a Felt with Dura Ace and a nicer Wheelset. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Andy

· Registered
1,469 Posts
buy the frame where (geometry/size) fits your body better

marsjon said:
I have $3000 to spend. I am debating between a Trek or a Felt. I am planning to get all Carbon frame/fork. It looks like I can pick up a Trek with a nicer frame but with only ultegra components. Or I can pick up a Felt with Dura Ace and a nicer Wheelset. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Andy
if they both fit you equally well then I would get the better frame because it will most likely outlast your compenents which you can later replace with better ones.

· Registered
237 Posts
If it were myself...

and assuming that all else is about equal, I would not hesitate to get the Trek based upon the strength of their engineering, experience, and company support/warranty. They are a fantastically deep and capable bike builder. It sounds like that in this particular comparison you are buying a better frame. Ultegra is fine. When it wears out you can upgrade! Have fun...

marsjon said:

Thanks,

Andy

· Registered
499 Posts
I think your wheel assessment is off. The Felt comes with much cheaper wheels.

I'm assuming, based on your budget, you are looking at the Felt F3c. That comes with cheap Mavic Aksium wheels - which are normally equipped on 105 bikes.

Given your budget, I can't tell if you are looking at the Madone 5.2 ($3,300 msrp) or 5200 ($2,700 msrp) with the Trek, but either the Bontrager Race or Race Lites are better wheels than the Aksiums.

· Registered
19,427 Posts
race and race lites..

topflightpro said:
I think your wheel assessment is off. The Felt comes with much cheaper wheels.

I'm assuming, based on your budget, you are looking at the Felt F3c. That comes with cheap Mavic Aksium wheels - which are normally equipped on 105 bikes.

Given your budget, I can't tell if you are looking at the Madone 5.2 ($3,300 msrp) or 5200 ($2,700 msrp) with the Trek, but either the Bontrager Race or Race Lites are better wheels than the Aksiums.
are NOT better wheels (IMHO). they're no better than the Mavics... stock wheels are stock wheels.. they're made to last a year or two until a rider gets bored and wants to upgrade...
If those are your choices (and you should be loooking at other options in the 3000$ range) I would suggest the Felt. I own a 2005 model and love it. They're more rare than Trek (I'm sick of looking at Trek's) and handle just as well depending on if they fit you or not...I like Jim's business philosophy, I'm sick of Lance Armstrong still being in the news, the warranties are equal..but honestly buy what fits and that you like the feel of..only you can decide that.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bahueh said:
are NOT better wheels (IMHO). they're no better than the Mavics... stock wheels are stock wheels.. they're made to last a year or two until a rider gets bored and wants to upgrade...
If those are your choices (and you should be loooking at other options in the 3000$ range) I would suggest the Felt. I own a 2005 model and love it. They're more rare than Trek (I'm sick of looking at Trek's) and handle just as well depending on if they fit you or not...I like Jim's business philosophy, I'm sick of Lance Armstrong still being in the news, the warranties are equal..but honestly buy what fits and that you like the feel of..only you can decide that.
for $3k you should be able to get a bike with a good wheelset. Just sayin...

· Registered
19,427 Posts
agreed...

Bocephus Jones II said:
for $3k you should be able to get a bike with a good wheelset. Just sayin...
you shouldn't have to put in another 600-800$ for a wheelset which allows the bike to perform to its capabilities...
now with that said, I'm leaving work to go watch the Tour coverage....

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I say go for the Trek. Well, coz i ride a Trek madone SSL 5.9 and it's awesome. for 3k, you can get either the Madone or the 5200. both are good bikes. But, a number of people at local bike shops and their friends say the Madone isn't as good as the Madone SL frame. But, i think it's about the same, hough the design is a little different. But, if you could afford, then get a Madone 5.2 SL maybe. Trek's OCLV carbon bikes provide a stiff and responsive ride. Comfort is also not compromised. Hope this helps.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'd go with the felt, I've rode both the felt and trek and bought the felt f3c and yes I did upgrade the wheels to mavic es and the brakes, and some say u could have just bought the f1c, to me the frame just looks better on the f3c than the f1c. The felt seemed easier to ride from handling, sprinting to climbing out of seat and in.
And besides I wanted to try something different than a trek.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
It looks like your in no big hurry to buy a new bike. Take your time, do your research, check out a number of different bikes and make a decision. BTW I purchased a Cannondale Six 13 Pro 1 not long ago and I'm very happy with my choice.

· The Gimlet Eye
933 Posts
I worked up a Time Edge First at Wrench Science for a grand total of $3124.
That's a 16 pound bike. And your guaranteed not to see 100 of them at group rides like Felts and Treks.

Or maybe a Look 555. Competitive Cyclist can build you one for $3357 and it's also 16 lbs.

If I had the dough, I'd go exotic. No way I'd want something I see everyday at my LBS.

· Registered
1 Posts
Shop around a bunch of different bike shops. Evenually you will find some great stuff on-sale.

A couple years back I bought a brand new Lemond Tete de Course for almost 50% off.

I live in SoCal so we have lots of bike shops, still look around.

· Registered
150 Posts
Ride lots of bikes and buy the one that fits. Felts, treks are all fine.

<rant/>
There is a lot of **** about which brand is better. Some people will claim that Italian steel it the real thing where mass produced Taiwanese carbon is the devil's spawn. This is just a form of snobbery.

If you haven't already notice most people when asked for a comment about a bike will usually suggest another bike, usually one they own or want to own. Unfortunately you can never most people will never admit that they have bought a dude so they will always say there bike is excellent. It is not to say that most people aren't happy with their own bikes, just that when they are not they most probably will never admit that it they could have done better. Hence brand loyalty, you talk up your brand because it validates your choice. You talk down other brand particularly brand that may threaten your ...

</rant>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.