Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best wheel set for around 300 dollars? i dont really want to buy a used wheel set over the internet has anyone had any good or bad luck buying used wheels on the net?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,697 Posts
by666 said:
whats the best wheel set for around 300 dollars? i dont really want to buy a used wheel set over the internet has anyone had any good or bad luck buying used wheels on the net?
Without knowing what you want to do or compatability issues-Ultegra/Open-Pros 32 3cross.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Neuvation Wheels

I bought a set of last year's closeout M 28's, with traditional spokes rather than bladed spokes, for $239. Great riding wheels!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Really depends...

How big are you? What type of riding/miles do you put in? Campy or Shimano?

If Shimano, for value it is hard to beat the Ultegra hubs on Open Pro or Velocity rims. Fairly light, super strong, and will last for years with simple maintenance.

I also would suggest you consider some other builds, like Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com. Or do a search for handbuilts on this forum and you will get tons of hits on great builders like Mike, or Ligero, etc. Mike does a Velocity Aerohead build with Speedcific hubs that gets pretty good reviews and costs about $300.

I also have purchased several wheelsets off ebay with pretty good results. Key is to know what you are buying and watch the feedback. You can still get taken, but generally you can't go wrong with the quality wheels or the fairly standard builds.

Again, it all depends. Put a few more details and plenty of people will chime in.

·
ProtoJ
85 Posts
I have some wheels for sale

I have some wheels for sale, they are more than $300..they are $425. However they are brand new. They are Shimano R600 w/ QR's and tires. I have them listed under the classifieds. Anyway, I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on this website and ebay and have yet to have a bad experience. If you are smart about it and use paypal so that you have some fraud protection, that is the best bet.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
I just bought a set of easton Circuits, list about $450, for $350 from Amazon/Nashbar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts