Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been plagued by some pretty fierce winds lately and was just wondering if the depth of my rims (although not extremely deep) could be a worsening the wind's effect. I rode today and almost lost my balance when I took my arms off the bars to stretch (not a normal occurence). Will a 30mm deep rim catch enough wind to account for this? How do other Campy G3 users cope in these conditions?
Thanks.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I'm no expert, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I use Rolf Vector Comps, I'm not sure of the exact mm of the rims. I do notice a little tinge of the wind sometimes with them. Like most things, it depends on your position, not only on the bike, but in relation to the direction of the wind. It might not be the wind at all if you were stretching and just lost a bit of balance. Now, if you were riding into, or had the wind at your back and made a turn "against the grain" of the wind. You will sense a difference. Some of it's mental. However, when it feels like the bike is being blown out from under you is not pleasant. We had 40mph gusts in the Quad Cities today. I chose to relax and watch quality Sunday afternoon television rather than chance being the cyclist in Monday's paper who got blown into traffic.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Not really

Even on Zipp 303s the winds have to be such that they would push your bike anyway to really feel anything. On a 32 spoke open pro you would feel more wind then a 30mm, just be smart if your not good at handling or riding free hand or even if the roads are rough. I went for my first ride outside this year about 2 weeks ago and made sure my "free hand" riding skills were tip top since VT is pot hole city. Sigh, I miss Ashevilles' perfect roads but I'd take VT traffic over it 7 days a week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Parisian said:
I have been plagued by some pretty fierce winds lately and was just wondering if the depth of my rims (although not extremely deep) could be a worsening the wind's effect. I rode today and almost lost my balance when I took my arms off the bars to stretch (not a normal occurence). Will a 30mm deep rim catch enough wind to account for this? How do other Campy G3 users cope in these conditions?
Thanks.
I don't have G3's, but I say that wind on deep-section rims is a fairly minor push compared to wind on your body. Yesterday I had the pleasure of finishing a ride in 25+ MPH gusts with driving rain. Oh, how I love spring...
Luckily, I had a tailwind most of the way, but at one point, I had to turn 90 degrees, so the wind was coming from my left. It's farm country, so there's nothing to block the wind, and I was getting blown around pretty good, plus an earful of cold rain and partially covered glasses. I was not a happy camper.
I was running some old Mavic MA-40's, which are about as low-profile as you can go - total rim height is maybe 15mm. Add in 23mm tires, and you've got maybe 40mm total depth. A 30mm deep rim would take you to 55mm overall, not a huge increase.
The real problem is due to the rake of your fork - a push on the front wheel wants to steer the bike for you, which, when added to the force on your body, means you will move around on the road. I was able to keep it mostly within a foot or so, but it was fairly steady with a few gusts. In the summer, with sudden velocity changes on the order of 20 MPH, you can be forced off the road if you aren't paying attention, no matter what rims you use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts