Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make any stems that will fit a 1" steerer but uses an oversized handlebar clamp (31.8mm)? I don't want a 1 1/8" stem and a shim. My headset is keep loosening up and the only thing I can think of is that the 1 1/8" stem that I'm using with a shim is not getting tight enough around the 1" carbon steerer tube.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Profile Design's Cobra stem should fit what you are looking for. check their site. www.profile-design.com

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
DRLski said:
Do they make any stems that will fit a 1" steerer but uses an oversized handlebar clamp (31.8mm)? I don't want a 1 1/8" stem and a shim. My headset is keep loosening up and the only thing I can think of is that the 1 1/8" stem that I'm using with a shim is not getting tight enough around the 1" carbon steerer tube.
I have an addon question, is it common for headsets to come loose because of shim use with stems?

Because I'm using a shim and my headset keeps coming loose and I can't figure out why.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CleavesF said:
I have an addon question, is it common for headsets to come loose because of shim use with stems?

Because I'm using a shim and my headset keeps coming loose and I can't figure out why.
That's what I'm wondering, I mean...once the stem is clamped down and tight the headset shouldn't come lose I'd assume, so I'm thinking that maybe the shim is causing it to slip?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

DRLski said:
That's what I'm wondering, I mean...once the stem is clamped down and tight the headset shouldn't come lose I'd assume, so I'm thinking that maybe the shim is causing it to slip?
A shim should not cause the headset to loosen up. Be sure that the steering tube is cut so it's 2-3mm below the top of the stem, or the spacer on top of the stem, if you use one. That is a must. If there is no gap, the headset cannot be properly tightened.

The other common mistake is never tightening the headset enough to start with. Integrated types require a significant preload torque on the top cap bolt, perhpas as much as 5Nm. Tighten the top cap bolt until you can feel some additional drag as the fork is turned, then loosen it, 1/8 turn or so, just enough to eliminate the drag. The old advice to clamp the front brake and rock the bike to feel for play does not work with an integrated headset. A lot of people try this method and only lightly tighten the top cap bolt. It feels OK, but after the riding the bike is feels loose because it was never tight to start with. This gives the impression that it's coming loose but it's not.

As extra insurance, you can also tighten the top tap a bit more, after the stem clamp bolts are clamped down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.