Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a bike build, and the specs say I need a 31.8mm seatpost clamp. I already have red Salsa skewers, so I was hoping to get the matching seatpost clamp, but the closest size those run in is 32.0mm.

Will this cause any problems if I substitute one for the other?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FatTireFred said:
you don't havea 31.8 post, do you?
No. The post is a 27.2x350
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spunout said:
No. Look at your ruler and eyeball .2mm
Thanks. I didn't think that would matter, but I know that some things on bikes really have to be precise. I just don't want to screw anything up ;)

-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,637 Posts
Really?

Spunout said:
No. Look at your ruler and eyeball .2mm
IME, a 27.4 mm post will not fit into a 27.2 mm seat tube. No way, no how. I know that 0.2mm is a very small number, but with a slip fit, I think you would be lucky if a 32 mm post fit into a 31.8 mm seat tube, and that would be because the tolerances on both the post and the frame were in your favor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kerry Irons said:
IME, a 27.4 mm post will not fit into a 27.2 mm seat tube. No way, no how. I know that 0.2mm is a very small number, but with a slip fit, I think you would be lucky if a 32 mm post fit into a 31.8 mm seat tube, and that would be because the tolerances on both the post and the frame were in your favor.
Meh? No no no. Let's start over.

My Seatpost: 27.2mm (as the specs for the CAAD9 specify)
The Seatpost Clamp I want to use: 32.0mm Salsa (CAAD9 specs say clamp should be 31.8mm)

So what we're discussing is... Will a clamp that is .2mm larger than the recommended seatpost clamp size make a difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,637 Posts
My bad

RoadBikeVirgin said:
Meh? No no no. Let's start over.

My Seatpost: 27.2mm (as the specs for the CAAD9 specify)
The Seatpost Clamp I want to use: 32.0mm Salsa (CAAD9 specs say clamp should be 31.8mm)

So what we're discussing is... Will a clamp that is .2mm larger than the recommended seatpost clamp size make a difference?
Sorry for the mis-read. A difference of 0.2 mm in the clamp should not be an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Sorry for the mis-read. A difference of 0.2 mm in the clamp should not be an issue.
No worries. I like being kept on my toes :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top