Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am turning 38 this summer-- if summer ever arrives around here. I probably gained about 7 lbs this winter- and it just isn't going away like it used to. I am still lean by normal standards-- but relative to where I was, something is going on here. Also, my legs seem to be growing more and more muscular-- I could have used legs like these a few years ago, but I seemed to melt muscle as easily as fat. I know statistically this was bound to happen, but somehow I hoped to be exempt from these bodily changes because I try to be so active.

I have been using relocating and a major career change as excuses (and my new commute is a fraction of the distance it once was)-- but I think reality is catching up to me and this is more than life just getting in the way. My 20th year class reunion is coming up this summer- and I am afraid to see all the old people there.

I originally began biking to stay fit... and performance-wise, I still seem to have it. Cosmetically it is beginning to take a little more work. Still, I trully believe it keeps us young.

Anyone else care to commiserate?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
filtersweep said:
I am turning 38 this summer-- if summer ever arrives around here. I probably gained about 7 lbs this winter- and it just isn't going away like it used to. I am still lean by normal standards-- but relative to where I was, something is going on here. Also, my legs seem to be growing more and more muscular-- I could have used legs like these a few years ago, but I seemed to melt muscle as easily as fat. I know statistically this was bound to happen, but somehow I hoped to be exempt from these bodily changes because I try to be so active.

I have been using relocating and a major career change as excuses (and my new commute is a fraction of the distance it once was)-- but I think reality is catching up to me and this is more than life just getting in the way. My 20th year class reunion is coming up this summer- and I am afraid to see all the old people there.

I originally began biking to stay fit... and performance-wise, I still seem to have it. Cosmetically it is beginning to take a little more work. Still, I trully believe it keeps us young.

41 this summer. It's all downhill. You gain a little more each year and have more wrinkles and grey hair assuming you still have hair. Kill yourself now while you still look good.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I go without shaving for a few days it is ALL grey. The hair on my head is holding up-- just a few greys around the temples- but my chin?! Not that I want a beard... or need one.

Bocephus Jones II said:
41 this summer. It's all downhill. You gain a little more each year and have more wrinkles and grey hair assuming you still have hair. Kill yourself now while you still look good.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I'll trade places with you

filtersweep said:

I'll be 48 in November. I would be happy to turn the clock by ten years. When I was in my 20s and 30s, I hardly ever visited a doctor. Even though I am healthy, I feel like I live in doctors' offices -- checking my cholesterol, checking my eye pressure (my family has a history of glaucoma), dealing with a root canal -- that's just the visits since January.

My experience with class reunions is that there are two major factors that determine whether people look older or younger -- weight and hair. Even with your extra 7 pounds, I am sure that you are significantly thinner than most of your contemporaries. At least once or twice you will be shocked as you hear a familiar voice coming out of the mouth of some person that is twice the size that you remeber his being. Now, when it comes to hair, there isn't too much you can do. I had the double whammy --graying hair in my 20s and male pattern baldness in my 30s. I decided the best thing to do was to shave my head. I haven't seen any toupees at any reunions, but I have seen some pretty bad comb overs and at least one bad transplant job.

As long as you are healthy and having fun, don't worry too much. The fact that you do something more strenuous than walking from your couch to the refrigerator for another beer while you are watching someone else engage in physical activity puts you well ahead of most of your 38 year old peers.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Ditto what MarkS says. You are so far ahead of the vast majority of people out there. No one will ever notice the 7lbs and grey hair when you are standing next to a bunch of lard-a**es.

I had the exact same fears as you did about my 20th last October. When I got there it was amazing who looked good and who didn't. Some of the best athletes in my class were out of shape slobs, and others who weren't much before looked great. I can guarantee you'll be glad you went. 7lbs for you, or 15 in my case, seems like a bunch because as cyclists we obsess over this stuff. But invariably when I'm bummed about carrying some extra weight, someone will say something like "dude you are too skinny" or "have you lost weight?".

Hell man, I'm turning 40 in March, so I can empathize with you. But remember that at the end of the day, you are in better shape and look better than almost everyone. Who would you rather be, a cyclist who's carrying some extra weight or an out of shape couch potato with a heart condition?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Don't want to hear no whining from you young fellas!

Damn babies.

Getting old ain't for sissies!

BTW back when I was young like you I could never figure out how those older fellas could be so strong and fast. Now being one of them older fellas I have a pretty good idea; with the bills paid, the kids out and the wife happy you have time to ride and money to pay for it.

So quit moaning and start enjoying.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
filtersweep said:
If I go without shaving for a few days it is ALL grey. The hair on my head is holding up-- just a few greys around the temples- but my chin?! Not that I want a beard... or need one.
My hair still grows like crazy so I'm guessing I won't go bald for some time if at all--I have a few grey hairs...never had ANY till I had kids though. Kids age you fast.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
38 !..........I can do that standing on my head.............
At this rate, if you keep on doing what your doing, you're going to look like Jabba the Hut by the time you hit 45. You need to either...1) Start eating less, or 2) Start riding more. The best solution is both.
I've gained 25 pounds since I got out of school. (Of course, when I got out of school, they were still using stone tablets) 15 of it in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This moaning about body changes isn't just in the 40's group. Those of us in higher years have had time to come to terms with it. Ride for life is all I've got to say. Don't stop, for if you ever do, it's harder to come back as you get older. Stop too long and you may never come back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keep things in perspective

I got my first bike (as an adult) when I was 36, 20 years ago. I retired 2 years ago, started riding more, and lost 25 lbs. I weigh the same as I did when I was in college running cross country and track. I enjoy riding as much as ever. I'm staying in shape to make the rest of my life more enjoyable and healthy. My mom died two years ago, my brother died in April from cancer, and my dad is 88 and fortunately healthy. Stop worrying about hair loss (I'm bald and my family loves me just the way I am) and aging and get out there and have fun. :)

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT hurt yourself! I put on ~30# in the last 2.5 seasons 'cause my back got jacked up.

Even worse, I had been running some and rolled my left ankle 5 weeks ago. STILL can't walk without a limp, much less run!

So, its back to riding the bike! Bad back or no bad back, I gotta do SOMEthing to get rid of this roll round my middle!

First commute was Fri. That 10-12mi/~45min home into the headwind kicked my arse! What I coulda gone up in the big ring with no problems just a little while ago reduced me to the little ring and grinding my way up. My ankle WAS NOT happy with me Fri PM. Good thing it IS happier with me today... 'cause I gotta ride home into that same farging headwind!

Chiro appt tonite for them to tell me what's wrong with my back... I'll let y'all know how screwed up I still am.

So, while I'm NOT in shape, I'm workin my way towards cross season. I hope to be semi-competetive in the lower cat by then! NEXT track season, I'm hoping to be competetive in the Bs. Thank doG for lots of years of base miles in my legs!

M

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I turned 37 on Friday, so I hear you. This "sport" has given me "manorexia." :) I am 100% aware of everything I put into my body now that I have been racing road for 3+ years. I raced MTBs for 4+ years prior, and didn't give a lick about what I ate. I'm 5'7" and waver between 151 and 157 pounds. I've tried for three years to get under 150, but I love food too much.

I almost always ride in bibs. The other day I threw on a pair of simple bike shorts and a jersey for a quick ride--and I could swear I could feel my gut swaying back and forth inside my jersey. I kept picturing a pregnant cat.

Then the next day somone brought huge cupcakes into my office. I was walking down the hall and one of our hottie assistants (female) said to me, "Have a cupcake. You're about the only one around here who can afford to eat one." The only syrupy advice I can offer: Try to live every single day to the fullest and you just might forget how "old" you are.

·
Registered
337 Posts
38??? Kids these days!!! :)
I just turned 44 a week ago and although, I'm averaging 100 miles a week and recently completed my first Century, I can't seem to lose this gut. Granted I just bought the bike this past winter and am down about 10lbs from an even 200 I'd like to get around 180 - the problem is food and beer. I like them both waaayy too much

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
I'm 45. Due to absolutely no effort on my own I still weigh within 10lbs of what I did when I graduated from college...call it Good Luck. And, while I've been a recreational cyclist for most of my life, it's only been in the past 4 months that I've made the concious leap to "serious" cyclist. But I can already tell this is something I'm gonna do for the rest of my life, *and* I can already see/feel the benefits of regular riding for both my physical and mental fitness.

(You wanna know how I motivate myself to eat right, diet smartly, and get a lot of excercise now? There's a 185 lb weight limit for Look Keo Carbon pedals. I just keep telling myself "Do you want the donut, or do you want the new pedals?" So far it's working.)

My parents retired to the desert of Tucson AZ, which is a remarkably bike-friendly town. When I go visit I always rent a bike & tool around the mountains & highways...and I *ALWAYS* get smoked by some 70 year old local guy who weighs <150lbs. (And I don't mean the same guy every time, I mean that city is clearly populated with a plethora of fast small septagenarian cyclists!)

I wanna be one of those guys.

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
38? My Schwinn Suburban 10-speed is almost that old. (It's a 1970 vintage, one-owner bike).:eek:ut: Just take care of yourself and you'll have another 50 years in you before you have to think about slowing down. :wink:

FWIW, later this month I'll be going to my 24th (university) class reunion. I agree with MarkS when it comes to reunions. Except for a greying moustache and an extra 20 (or so) pounds, I still look pretty much like I did in school. Some of the guys haven't fared as well. And some of the ladies .... well, some have definately gotten better with the years. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
:D I'll be 44 this fall and still weigh the same 180lbs for the last 20 years....tried to lose 10
but I love to eat to much:cryin: So I decided to ride farther and more often so I can eat
whatever I want, I'm still 30-40lbs less than my buddies who do nothing but drink beer and eat crap and give me a hard time for shaving my legs. But recovery is a more time consuming effort than it use to be.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i'm a young'un at 32, but...

...this past year i have noticed some serious body change issues, too. i ride better now, but my running is suffering. injury/illness now seems to linger. i have many more "old hickory" whiskers in my goatee than even 1 month ago.

my legs seem to gain muscle and definition quicker, but my arms and chest lag behind. and while my stomach is flatter now, the love handles have appeared. and when i do crunches my pants fit tighter for some reason. i find myself becoming part of the high-pants club. and i, too, suffer from manorexia. except when alcohol or coffee is concerned. i like the liquid diet, but find myself justifying my alcohol intake. so much so that i make gatoritas (margaritas made using powdered gatorade) after exercise. i figure the alcohol and gatorade balance each other. plus, after the exertion i don't need as much liquor to dull the pain.

and im only 32.

from what you guys forecast, i will be in a wheelchair in 5 years!

help. i dont like this. i just got brave enough to wear bibs and not care who sees me in them.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
If these young pups want something to complain about, wait until they're in their mid-50s as I am. Declining eyesight, diabetes, the beginnings of arthritis, PGS, hairy ears, cholesterol...but I still gotta get out and spin those cranks when I can.

"Coming to terms" with these changes is just a polite way of saying you're resigned to 'em.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.