Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bike, a complete bike for $3500. Give me some ideas. Been looking at Scott Addict r3, felt ar4. Not sure. Been looking at a lot of reviews. I do road races, like climbs, and some sprints. Currently ride on a Cannondale r3000 with ultegra...Looking to make the jump to carbon... also I ride/train about 150-175 miles/week

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you have that type of money to spend ,go custom . You could get a really nice frame custom ordered and have good money left over to build it up . If you like steel ,get ya a Curtlo and use the other 2500 left over for campy record and some nice wheels.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Have some fun and choose the exact specs you want rather than buying a complete set with the niggling compromises that come with it. Think about your riding, research the parts, and choose exactly what you want and know why you want them.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
2befast said:
What bike, a complete bike for $3500. Give me some ideas. Been looking at Scott Addict r3, felt ar4. Not sure. Been looking at a lot of reviews. I do road races, like climbs, and some sprints. Currently ride on a Cannondale r3000 with ultegra...Looking to make the jump to carbon... also I ride/train about 150-175 miles/week
New or used?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
mark4501 said:
if I had $3500, here's 2 I'd consider:

Pinarello FP3 - full carbon
Lynskey Houseblend Cooper - custom Titanium
He could NOT buy a Lynskey custom titanium frame AND put components and wheels on it for $3500.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
That's a sweet custom Ti frame (only). If I were the OP I'd pick that up and then slowly... ever so slowly start amassing components under my wife's nose. A hundred here... fifty there... shhhhh!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
But the FP3 Pinarello is doable in that price range and would be a nice race bike. Or, buy the Lynskey frame and move your old components and wheels over to the new frame...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
If it was me, I'd get a custom.

for that kind of money, why not?

I know, yadda yadda yadda, no one really needs a custom bike, most people fit just fine on a stock frameset, blah blah blah.

But then again, no one really needs to spend $3500 on a bike. So if yer gonna do it, go all out. Get the paint you want. Get a racing bike that'll fit fenders and wide tires for the winter, just because you can. Or, get whatever you want. For that kind of money, you should be able to get pretty much whatever you want out of a frame.

I'd avoid buying a cheap frame and the latest/greatest components. A decent frame could be with you for years if you buy the right one. A good frame will still be worth what you paid for it after a couple years, providing you don't treat it like @#$%. Those DA7900 cranks that you paid close to $1000 bucks for will be on sale in a year and a half for $250.

Oh, and forget everything I said if yer planning on racing crits.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I'm not sure it'll pass but I'm fixated on getting a Madone as spare race bike. The 5.2 is running about $4000 locally so I'm thinking if I wait for a Sale this spring I could get it for nearer your budget. The 5.1 is listing for ~$3500 with Ultegra. I might pony up more funds for the 5.5 with the SRAM Force.

·
Registered
157 Posts
sorry, I overstated by using the word custom, but check out the Lynskey website.

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/a...itanium-road-bikes-road-houseblend-cooper.php

they have a new model....the Houseblend Cooper complete bike with Rival, fulcrum 7 wheels is $2595.

if you don't like Rival, buy a frame+fork for $1575 and build it up to your liking.

Litespeed has a similarly priced model (Xicon @ $1599) as well - both are to combat sagging sales in this crappy economy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I built up a custom Ti bike for about $3500. It has SRAM Rival components and Nuvation wheels. So I had about $1000 to spend on components, bars, headset, wheels etc after spending ~$2500 on custom frame & carbon fork. The only downside is it took 8 months to order and receive. It's a heck of a lot nicer bike than a Trek Madone IMO.

·
Shoebomber
174 Posts
Mootsie said:
Buy a used Moots on Ebay.
The OP specifically said "Looking to make the jump to carbon." Besides, as much as I love my Moots, with all the racing aspirations I'm thinking s/he would benefit more from a stiffer bike.

Anyway, Canyon's CF Pro model with a full Chorus build can be had for well below $3500 with today's exchange rate. I purchased this bike last fall for 2115 Euro (2199 - 15% VAT + 200 shipping). The same model is still available in their outlet shop (Ultimate CF Pro 8.0) and the new 11 speed version is 2499 Euro with race license, before VAT and shipping adjustments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys. I do want/prefer a carbon bike. But the suggestions, keep them coming. Anyone ride a pinnarelo fp3. Good Bike. I went today and looked at 2 bikes. Cervelo S2 and the Look 566. Both bikes come complete with the Ultegra SL gruppo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts