Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in the NY Times and thought of you guys... Have fun!

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/travel/escapes/20hour.html

By JANELLE BROWN
Published: January 20, 2006

UNTIL the mid-1970's, San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter was a seedy red-light district habituated almost exclusively by sailors on leave from local military installations. But a huge development project has turned the zone into a buzzing center for night life, and surrounding downtown neighborhoods like East Village, Hillcrest and Little Italy are now peppered with cranes putting up new loft buildings, destination restaurants and high-end boutiques. All of which is to say that it has become easy for the culturati and the hip to spend a weekend totally free of the city's more vanilla family-friendly entertainments. San Diego isn't just about Shamu the whale and the Wild Animal Park anymore.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
You lucky /ers. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Worst thing that ever happened to **** was when the city started "cleaning up" the Gaslamp District, and replacing the trenchcoat crowd with yuppies. ...and what's up with that #&$%in' baseball stadium downtown?!?!?!

·
I don't exist
2,029 Posts
its what you get when big biz (local) owns the local govt.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
downtown is nice but way too trendy

it's where allthe suburbanite North County folks go on the weekend.too expensive and shallow. Uptown baby is where all the action is. But yes, we've turned into a nice little city.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
i was in san diego two weeks ago, thought id get a sunny escape in with my girlfriend. its beautiful there. Old town is a lot of fun (went to rockin baja lobster), beach at l jolla was great and i was wishing i had my bike when i drove on the "scenic" route on coronado (i think it was rt. 75, but i may be wrong).

anyways, it was really nice and i'll return someday, but in the mean time i'm here in NYC...rain and all...enjoy San Diego folks

oh and go to the zoo, it'll make you feel like a little kid!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts