Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Campy compact chainring conversion

A technical question:

Do you have to change both chainrings? In other words, is there a 50 chainring that is mated to the 36? Or can I just buy a 36 and swap it with the existing 34?

I'm thinking of puting an order in at aebike.com

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Mixing and matching chainrings

Ohm_S.Ohm said:
A technical question:

Do you have to change both chainrings? In other words, is there a 50 chainring that is mated to the 36? Or can I just buy a 36 and swap it with the existing 34?
Theoretically, the pins and ramps on the outer chainring are aligned to work best with a particular inner chainring size. But in reality, the differences are minor, and most people would be hard pressed to detect a difference in shifting performance. Many people swap either inner or outer chainrings at will with no problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The shifting difference between the correctly and incorrectly matched 50 chainrings was clearly evident to me. Yes, the mismatched ring will work. I road a mismatched set for several hundred miles. However the matched set shifts quieter, smoother and quicker. I felt it was worth having the correct matched set, IMO. You will tell the difference with the first shift going onto the 50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.