Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah I actually called 38 bicycle shops within Florida trying to find a deal on a CAAD9 5 in a 60cm before the 2009's come out.

heres what I found.

2007 CAAD9 Optimo 3 105/ultegra mix $1400

CAAD9 frames for $450 with the frame upgrade deal. this would be my first bike....don't think I want to do a build.

2008 CAAD9/5 105/ultegra mix $1299

2008 CAAD9/5 105/ultegra mix $1300

also locally there is a R900 with campy veloce this bike is priced at $1400 trying to talk them down...I really liked the campy stuff.

at this point im almost ready to get the caad9 frame and a group from GVH....

Chad
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,240 Posts
... U know the old saying... get off the pot or $#@&^???

Don't get caught out splitting hairs when you could be caught out riding!

The truth is, few of us will ride a frame unaltered in some way over years. I'm not saying that folks go on spending sprees or "upgrade" madness... but they tend to personalize the basics (the frame and perhaps the fork/seatpost) and make it their own.

You already seem to be hovering around the same basic frame... pull the trigger and ride!

BTW, my GVH baby from a few years back (about a year before Gary passed) built up frame the frameset.



Gary pulled a rabbit out of his hat to get me this specific frame (aero tubeset and paint scheme)! Aside from fit issues, don't discount building up your own frame even as a first bike. It's like a mother bonding with a nursing child (I know, somewhat disturbing imagery)!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh Im not waiting, was just trying to find a bike...trust me finding a 60cm caad anything at this point hasn't been easy.

I've test rode a specialized Allez elite, Scott S30 and that CAAD8 R900 w/ campy...and that bike just screamed "perfect" for me.

called all those places to see if I could find a better deal. hell i was lucky to find 3 bikes.

problem with doing the frame up I'd have to drive 4 hours to the shop to get the frame deal. then somehow figure out how to put it all together, with no warranty later down the road if I do make a mistake...not sure I want to do all that with my first bike...

I think the 1400 for the caad8 is just over priced....am I wrong?

tried calling GVH a few times no answer...maybe he has a caad frame?

Chad
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,240 Posts
... the price differences when compared to the components and frames is relatively minor...

I understand wanting to get a deal but again, you could be riding... and eventually, the whichever bike you choose will be far more valuable to you than any one else!

I built my first bike (technically, my 3rd, but the first since I done acquired the smartz to know the difference 'tween a headset and a crankset) back in '97 and never looked back! There are tons of build info on the web (far more than when I built my first) to help you through the rough spots... and those are relatively few as long as you have some aptitude... plus you benefit from a more intimate knowledge of how/why your bike works... especially if things go wrong on the road.

Haven't really had any dealings with GVH since Gary died, but during his tenure, you generally talked to Gary or no one at all. Maybe you caught someone on the can? Email 'em.

The old mode of operation at GVH may have changed as well. In the past, Gary had... ummmm access to a wide variety of frames. Don't know their current status... but given their past performance I'd still give GVH a look if I were in the market.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update,

bike shop called about the CAAD8 and took a measly $50 off knocking it to $1350, or $150 more than a caad9 5.

not much of a deal for a 2005 bike.

looking now at either just getting a caad9 5 full shimano, or doing a frameset build and doing what I want...but not sure "what I want" is since its a first bike...

Chad
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,702 Posts
It all depends on how you look. A 2005 model will ride exactly the same as a 2008. It's just the looks and 'new' factor.
I'd get whatever is the better deal.

*just reread OP*
If you're gonna spend 1300 bucks, spend 1300 bucks and just get the 2008 CAAD9/5 105/ultegra mix.

I don't see what the dilemma is.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PlasticMotif said:
It all depends on how you look. A 2005 model will ride exactly the same as a 2008. It's just the looks and 'new' factor.
I'd get whatever is the better deal.

*just reread OP*
If you're gonna spend 1300 bucks, spend 1300 bucks and just get the 2008 CAAD9/5 105/ultegra mix.

I don't see what the dilemma is.
Dilemma is no one has a 2008 caad 9/5 at all around here, found one in Orlando (3.5hr north) but the only way to get it is to physically drive up there....and waste money in gas.

so kinda stuck here unless my bike shop can get that bike somehow....then I have to wait for 2009's and wait a few until sept.

Chad
 

· Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,854 Posts
fair market value

Nimitz said:
yeah I actually called 38 bicycle shops within Florida trying to find a deal...
Well it is all about supply and demand. Looks like there is a limited supply. Also looks like you got fairly consistent prices so no one is trying to screw you, just asking market price for the bike they have that you want. Pay what its worth and go ride the bike.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keeping up with Junior said:
Well it is all about supply and demand. Looks like there is a limited supply. Also looks like you got fairly consistent prices so no one is trying to screw you, just asking market price for the bike they have that you want. Pay what its worth and go ride the bike.
yeah but the 7.5 hour car ride is little in the way.

Chad
 

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Man where did you find 38 bike shops in South Florida. Also including the price of gas I think you pretty much destroyed any saving you may have had in the first place. See if the Cannondale shop will swap a bike with a local store. Have them ship it and save the gas money for water bottles.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jupiterrn said:
Man where did you find 38 bike shops in South Florida. Also including the price of gas I think you pretty much destroyed any saving you may have had in the first place. See if the Cannondale shop will swap a bike with a local store. Have them ship it and save the gas money for water bottles.
ok one more time....there are ZERO Cannondale CAAD9/5's here...at all. period. I called 38 shops, didn't drive. and yes you are right the extra money in gas would suck to drive all the way to Orlando. Cannondale doesn't ship....according to all the stores.

and the 38 shops were all across Florida, not just the south.

only caad9 I found in my size is in Orlando. its $1299, may just bite the bullet and go up there if nothing else is available.

Chad
 

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Akirasho said:
... oh yeah, Florida... where all this trouble started back in the fall of 2000...
Oh lets not go there. No PO stuff for this noobs question. As for Cannondale you are correct that for some reason they do have an issue with swapping or shipping bikes directly to people even though you can go on REI.com and order a bike (go figure) but I have known Cannondale dealers in South Florida to swap bikes for about 20 - 30 dollars to the bike shop but that does not include shipping. I am amazed actually you found a shop that would give you a price over the phone.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PlasticMotif said:
You could make a day of it. Orlando is awesome. Everyone needs more vacations! It's almost the weekend ;-D
true, but I work the weekends...I'll figure it out....

hmm all the shops gave me the price over the phone...said I could even buy the damn bike over the phone but couldn't have it shipped.

stupid policy IMO.

Chad
 

· Lesper4
Joined
·
249 Posts
PlasticMotif said:
If you're gonna spend 1300 bucks, spend 1300 bucks and just get the 2008 CAAD9/5 105/ultegra mix.
That is exactly what i did. (i road my cdale hard tale with road tires in various events for 9 months) i basically took 9 months looking at bikes, test riding (saveing money!) i was looking at scott S30 and S20, Cdale CAAD 9/5, 9/6 and synapse, some giants, treks 2100 and specialized allez. Of course i didint have yoru problem, i was looking for a 56 but what it came down to was my past experaince on my cdale and the componets i wanted. i am completly happy with the bike i got, i got the pedals i wanted some nice flat bars and i am going to pick up a seat now that i have tried the current one out. I found quite a few bike shops online that carried the bike i wanted to buy, but buying from a local shop was perferred. If that is the bike you want get it. i found that cdales do not drop in price, they just sell out till the next year models, which will cost more so i heard too.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lesper4 said:
That is exactly what i did. (i road my cdale hard tale with road tires in various events for 9 months) i basically took 9 months looking at bikes, test riding (saveing money!) i was looking at scott S30 and S20, Cdale CAAD 9/5, 9/6 and synapse, some giants, treks 2100 and specialized allez. Of course i didint have yoru problem, i was looking for a 56 but what it came down to was my past experaince on my cdale and the componets i wanted. i am completly happy with the bike i got, i got the pedals i wanted some nice flat bars and i am going to pick up a seat now that i have tried the current one out. I found quite a few bike shops online that carried the bike i wanted to buy, but buying from a local shop was perferred. If that is the bike you want get it. i found that cdales do not drop in price, they just sell out till the next year models, which will cost more so i heard too.
links to these websites please?

Chad
 

· Lesper4
Joined
·
249 Posts
ok i had my post ready and then i accidently closed it. I found a few shops but most of them showed that they do not ship :(. the shop i got my bike was called http://www.donsbikeshop.com/ (crappy site but they migth ship? the other shop i frequent is www.incycle.com, maybe they will ship. You could also try www.REI.com, they are a Cannondale retailer and maybe able to order your bike for you, free delivery if you pick it up at their store (if there is one close). i also found a shop in florida http://orangecycleorlando.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=6725

so i eat my words a bit yes you can find shops that carry cannondale but not all carry the CAAD9 and hardly any will ship. but almost any shop that is a cannondale retailer will order the bike. mine took almost two weeks.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top