Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here from MTBR.com looking to get back into road racing. I have a caad8 i wish to sell and upgrade and would appreciate some insight. I did search but couldn't find much useful info.

Background: In Bermuda and want to buy local, either through one of two LBS or second hand from someone who is supporting my LBS. Most large brands are available. The second hand option i am considering is below for $2,600. Budget approx 3K.

2 Questions:
1. High end 2009 frame and component quality vs mid level 2013? Most of the new carbon bikes in my budget have mid range frames (ie madone 4.5, supersix 5, tarmac 8r) and come with 105. How would this compare performance and weight wise to high end 09 frame and components (addict and force/durace)? Basically would i get more out of a new mid range carbon bike than a four year old high end bike with upgrades due to trickle down technology etc.?

2. Wear - Obviously the condition of the used bike makes or breaks the decision. How many miles should i be concerned about before expecting drive train wear? Is there visual signs of wear i can look for when i go to test ride it? Anything else i should watch for be concerned about?

Thanks!

Second Hand option: $2,600 (would offer $2,300)

2009 ISP Scott Addict featuring Scotts composites HMX NET Frame. Excellent condition.

Specs:
2009 ISP Scott Addict Frame size 56cm
FSA Wing Pro Shallow Drop handle bars 42
Ritchey WCS 110mm stem
2009 Sram Force Group set
Dura-ace 7800 crank set
Acros Ceramic Bottom Bracket
Look Keo pedals
Karbona Carbonfiber bottle cages
Sella Marco Saddle
New Fi'zi:k bar tape
New chain
New Easton EA90 SLX wheel set
New CST Pro tires
Bike comes with all original documents, call to set up a time to view.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
So, if you are going to race it, are you sure you want carbon????

When I looked into my road bike set up and racing, I had more than one person tell me pretty much the same thing:

"Don't race something you can't afford to replace from a crash"

So, if you want to race, don't rule out an Al frame. Cannondale CAAD10 is like $700 to replace with Cdales crash replacement. Their Super Six is like $2000.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Agreed, If you are going to race it. Get the CAAD10.

If you want carbon 105 will serve you well and can be had on some really nice bikes in your price range.

If you are going to race it. You need to be able to afford to replace it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, sounds like your pushing me to buy new in aluminum to get the most at my price point. which makes perfect sense.

I hadn't even considered destroying a frame in a crash, is it really that common? The level here is no where near what it is in the us but crashes do happen...

I'm leaning toward carbon for the ride quality, the CAAD8 i own is responsive but now im putting in more miles i notice the harshness. The roads here arent great and if i'm upgrading feel like it would be a good time to move on to carbon.

That being said the CAAD10 in force looks awesome, and according to reviews is much more race worthy than than the caad8 so it would be worth the upgrade. Full carbon fork, post bars might help smooth the road out... food for thought.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
If i go carbon what do you think is a better machine for the money. Second hand scott above 2009 vs super six w rival vs madone 4.5 with 105

Thanks
The obvous answer is the one that fits the best. I personally would not want a used carbon bike that is going on 5 years old.
There is nothing wrong with a carbon frame that is 5 years old but then again there may be.

I am not pushing you to aluminum. Its yours and you can go any direction you want. The CAAD10 already has a full carbon fork and overall rides prety well. Not as well as some bikes but better than others.
I would not go down the road of pinning one frame material to any specific ride quality. There is alot more to it than just material. I have steel, carbon and aluminum. The ride is different on them all but they are all prety good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tihsepa maybe i have read too much online.... I spoke to my friends at the bike shop today and am going to test out some carbon options. Looks like i can go either caad 10 in force or six in ultegra close to my budget. Im ruling out second hand and your input has brought al back into the race. Next step is test riding and pulling the trigger!

Thanks

As for replacing the frame my current bike has tiagra.. With a triple ring... One of the reasons i want to upgrade. Not that its bad group but im looking for something i can stepvit up on.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The CAAD 9 has a better ride quality than your CAAD8 and the CAAD10- well, it rivals carbon. You can make that 8 ride better with different wheels and tires. Is yours the older CAAD8 or the current model. Both are competent race machines, but they are two different bikes.
As far as getting an Addict, if you decide to go with it, get the new one. Reason? It's new. A used carbon bike is too much of a risk IMO. Also, an '09 and a '13 will be different. There are differences in technology that might make the newer one a better bike. whether you can feel it is debatable, but the new bike will have a warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.