Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that many bikes of 10~15 year old which were some of the top bikes at the time at over $10K are now sold at around $3K.
With $3K, I can buy a new Cervelo P2C, or a couple of years old P3C.
However, with that amount of money I can also buy those 10~15 year old used bikes that was once ridden by top riders at world's competition.
If those 10~15 year old bikes are in very good condition and sold for $3K, would they still outperform new bikes at $3K?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I see that many bikes of 10~15 year old which were some of the top bikes at the time at over $10K are now sold at around $3K.
However, with that amount of money I can also buy those 10~15 year old used bikes that was once ridden by top riders at world's competition.
If those 10~15 year old bikes are in very good condition and sold for $3K, would they still outperform new bikes at $3K?
by the bike that fits you best and one where you can stay in the TT position the longest... you question is too vague.

·
Hammer
471 Posts
I marshal for a Triathlon Series and at our last event the second fastest bike time came form a guy riding an older aluminum non aero frame with profile clip on aero bars. As I tell people all the time it's the motor, so if you have the motor then sure the older bike with out perform the newer one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it may be hard to compare, but let's say consider a 10 year old used Trek bike that was made in early 2000 that is very similar to what Lance Armstrong rode in his world tour. That kind of bike was probably well over $10K at the time.
So, would that kind of bike be a better bike than a new $3K bike?
Well, never mind if it still does not make much sense to you for comparison. Maybe I am thinking something strange.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Assuming both the Cervelos and the 10-15 year old bikes fit you correctly (which is most important), I would go with the newer frames and technology. Yes, the older bikes were ridden fast by the pros, but the same can be said of the P2C and P3C! You will also have to contend with wear and tear on the older used bikes.

How old is the P3C? If we are talking about 2 years or younger, the frame is exactly the same as their P2C. Paint and components make up the difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming both the Cervelos and the 10-15 year old bikes fit you correctly (which is most important), I would go with the newer frames and technology. Yes, the older bikes were ridden fast by the pros, but the same can be said of the P2C and P3C! You will also have to contend with wear and tear on the older used bikes.

How old is the P3C? If we are talking about 2 years or younger, the frame is exactly the same as their P2C. Paint and components make up the difference.
Yes, a couple of years old P3.
One notable difference though is, that those older bikes are with top of wheels at the time too, and those newer bikes are with their stock wheels. However, finding such used bike with perfect fit would be rather hard.
It appears that it would be better to go for 1 or 2 year old NOS models at discount price than 10+ year old top (super?) bikes.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Regardless of how it compares to a new one.....spending thousands on an old bike that isn't steel or Ti isn't a good idea. You really can't tell what it's been though and how close it is do dying.

Although with a TT bike it might be fair to assume it's been just collecting dust in a basement. I know a lot of people who own them. Very few actually ride them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes, a couple of years old P3.
One notable difference though is, that those older bikes are with top of wheels at the time too, and those newer bikes are with their stock wheels. However, finding such used bike with perfect fit would be rather hard.
It appears that it would be better to go for 1 or 2 year old NOS models at discount price than 10+ year old top (super?) bikes.
Jay Strongbow has a pretty good point. The older rigs probably weren't ridden nearly as much as their road bikes. Can you let us know specifically their makes/models? We can all then give you more educated opinions. The older stuff might work, but Cervelo is hard to beat in terms of aerodynamics. You still have to make sure it fits which will lean again towards going to an LBS you trust and getting the correct size.

Also....I think $3000 is a lot to pay for a 10 year old used bike. I don't care who rode it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen some of those bikes ridden by top riders in olympics or the Tour for sale before. I cannot find many now, but here show some bikes ridden by Lance Armstrong or his team on ebay.

Trek TTX time trial road bike Lance Armstrong owned team Discovery Channel TDF

TREK 22 INCH ROAD BIKE CARBON FRAME,LANCE ARMSTRONG 2X8 (16 ) SPEED

Trek Madone Lance Armstrong Ltd Edition Dura Ace Groupset Frame 336 of 500 | eBay

This is for 2012 (2013?) Pinarello ridden by Team Sky Blue team.
Team Sky Pinarello Bolide Time Trial Bike | eBay (from an old auction in UK)

What I am talking about is more or less like the Discovery Channel bik.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
The bolide was a deal .. Id pass on old 8 speed stuff personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Are you looking for a bike to ride or display?

I would put little to no value in an ebay seller claiming the bike was ridden by X.

If you have $3K to spend, you are looking at nice brand new bikes. I would go new over buying someone else's problems, wear, and tear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me, it does not matter who actually rode it. What matters is, if the bike was as good as some of the best ones at the time ridden by world top riders at world's competitions. Also, I am interested in riding it, not hang it on the wall.
What I am not sure though, is whether such bikes in very good used condition are better performers than current $3K bikes. Anyway, I may have to spend another $1K to upgrade wheelsets from the stock wheels on new bikes, but those used bikes often come with full carbon disk wheels or higher level 3 spoke wheels. The wheels alone in today's money may cost over $3K.

If the used 2012 Boldie costs $3K in five years, would it be a better bike than $3K bike in 5 years?
Well, that's my question.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Top riders ride what they are paid to ride. Granted they ride top bikes but the one the ride isn't necessarily the same bike below the paint job that gets sold to the public and the race results would have been the same on any frame they used as long as it fit them.

In summary you're, at best, wasting your time by trying to get the same frame a pro rode. more likely you're doing more harm than good because chances of your being best off with the same fit and geo as a world class pro are pretty slim.

Just get a bike that fits you and leave it at that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all comments.
I was considering between a used "super bike" and a new bike under $3K, and finally decided to go for a slightly used Cervelo P3.
It comes with stock wheels: Mavic Cosmic Elite clinchers. How good are they?
I currently have ROL D'HUEZ 20/24 wheelsets.
Would ROL wheelset be a good match with P3? Or, it wouldn't make much difference?
Or, P3 deserves a better wheelset?
(I can keep 21~22mph average in 30 mile flat road ride with my Bianchi Infinito with ROL wheels.)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks for all comments.
I was considering between a used "super bike" and a new bike under $3K, and finally decided to go for a slightly used Cervelo P3.
It comes with stock wheels: Mavic Cosmic Elite clinchers. How good are they?
I currently have ROL D'HUEZ 20/24 wheelsets.
Would ROL wheelset be a good match with P3? Or, it wouldn't make much difference?
Or, P3 deserves a better wheelset?
(I can keep 21~22mph average in 30 mile flat road ride with my Bianchi Infinito with ROL wheels.)

Congrats! The Mavics MAY cheat the wind a little more, but I don't think either wheel will matter. The biggest wind drag will be your body so focus more on staying in an aero tuck throughout the entire ride. Nothing amuses me more than seeing someone with super low position on their bike who sits up every few miles for back relief.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats! The Mavics MAY cheat the wind a little more, but I don't think either wheel will matter. The biggest wind drag will be your body so focus more on staying in an aero tuck throughout the entire ride. Nothing amuses me more than seeing someone with super low position on their bike who sits up every few miles for back relief.
Thanks.
Hope I can stay in the aero position long enough.
I won't bother much about the wheels at the moment, and just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I marshal for a Triathlon Series and at our last event the second fastest bike time came form a guy riding an older aluminum non aero frame with profile clip on aero bars. As I tell people all the time it's the motor, so if you have the motor then sure the older bike with out perform the newer one.
Seeing how the motor is constant (i.e. the rider isn't changing) in this scenario your reply is irrelevant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts