Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know there's a dizzying array of choices out there for frames. I've test ridden over a dozen bikes but I don't feel like the LBS keeps up on new products and they carry 2 brands. I'm not a bike snob but I'd like something I won't mistake for one of my buddies rides who mostly pedal Cannondale, Trek or Specialized. I plan on heading to the big city to sample a wider range of bikes. I'll have limited time to test so I've come here, humbly asking for advice after reading a lot of reviews, watching videos, etc.
Budget - $3K usd
-Main use - 50+ mile solo rides, group centuries
-Secondary use - a few crit races when i get some training.
-I may occasionally do some dirt or gravel detours off pavement but nothing hardcore.

Summary. A bike comfortable enough for my regular distance rides. Hopefully also something that can hang in my local crit races & TT's. Most of the hardcore cyclists in my area have 2-3+ bikes. I'm hoping to keep to one. Looking for the best groupset my money affords. I'm on the fence about disc brakes, though i do want to ride through the wet, cold winter.

Just a few bikes I'll have an opportunity to test are:
Pinarello Rahza K
Scott Solace & Addict
Orbea Avant & Orca
Bottecchia 8Avio Evo
Merckx Sallanches 64
Suggestion???

Any thoughts on these in regards inwhat may work best for my usage or personal experiences with these or any frames is appreciated.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I looked at the Merckx, the Pin and the Cervelo. I also kicked around the idea of a Pegoretti but as I own a Moots and wanted a second bike for something a little different, didn't let that idea gain much traction.

I chose a Pinarello ROKH. I found a leftover/new 2014 model with full Ultegra for under $1500. I did upgrade the wheels to a set of 25mm Mavic Ksyriums that were on clearance from Performance Bike shop in my area for $300.

I personally always wanted a Pinarello and when I found this rig for this price it was no-brainer. I just rode the Hotter N Hell 100 in Texas 2 weeks ago on it and it was a very pleasant day - no aches pains or soreness from bad position.

I don't race and can't say it is the most nimble bike I've ever ridden but I have zero regrets. It's very comfortable and a pleasure to ride.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm no fan of the brands you mentioned, especially Specialized, but that is neither here nor there. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a bike, then you should get the best bike you can get for your money. Don't eliminate brands just because your buddies ride them (or don't). That is the worst reasoning in the world to avoid a frame.

As I've said in many other threads, find a bike you love. I realize there are bias for and against certain brands, and certain frame styles (some people hate 'endurance' bikes, others despise an Aero/TT design, etc...) and even certain colors. Try to go in with an open mind and ride as many bikes as you can.

Then go buy a BMC ! :p (kidding of course :biggrin5:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the Merckx, the Pin and the Cervelo. I also kicked around the idea of a Pegoretti but as I own a Moots and wanted a second bike for something a little different, didn't let that idea gain much traction.

I chose a Pinarello ROKH. I found a leftover/new 2014 model with full Ultegra for under $1500. I did upgrade the wheels to a set of 25mm Mavic Ksyriums that were on clearance from Performance Bike shop in my area for $300.

I personally always wanted a Pinarello and when I found this rig for this price it was no-brainer. I just rode the Hotter N Hell 100 in Texas 2 weeks ago on it and it was a very pleasant day - no aches pains or soreness from bad position.

I don't race and can't say it is the most nimble bike I've ever ridden but I have zero regrets. It's very comfortable and a pleasure to ride.
If I could find a Rohk, new, under $1500 then that's a done deal! Good to hear your POV after riding what I hear is one of the most grueling events in the states. I had heard that it's not the most comfortable in some reviews. I'll test one out then see if there are any deals to be had cuz I think that one retails a bit over my budget.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm no fan of the brands you mentioned, especially Specialized, but that is neither here nor there. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a bike, then you should get the best bike you can get for your money. Don't eliminate brands just because your buddies ride them (or don't). That is the worst reasoning in the world to avoid a frame.

As I've said in many other threads, find a bike you love. I realize there are bias for and against certain brands, and certain frame styles (some people hate 'endurance' bikes, others despise an Aero/TT design, etc...) and even certain colors. Try to go in with an open mind and ride as many bikes as you can.

Then go buy a BMC ! :p (kidding of course :biggrin5:)
I would like to find a bike I love but nothing has stirred that feeling in me to this point. I'm not excluding the Synapses and Roubaix's that most of my new cycling buddie's ride. I just was looking to see what else is out there in the bicycle universe. I have looked at the BMC Roadmachine and one of the models, 03, I think comes in at $3K. It looks like it meets all my needs. I just need to find someplace to test ride. Good suggestion though, I need to try that one before making a final decision.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not for nothing, if money were no object I'd be leaning toward a Bianchi Infinito CV. Most of what I've read is nothing but heaps of praise for that bike....except for the bottom bracket noise issues.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
There are many good brands out there. I am assuming the ones you have listed are the ones available for you to ride in the big city.

Just keep in mind some of the geometries of the frames listed are quite different - the Merckx sticks out asss having unique geometry.

If you have been riding a particular bike for a while you have probably adapted to that geo. Maybe aim for something similar in geo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are many good brands out there. I am assuming the ones you have listed are the ones available for you to ride in the big city.

Just keep in mind some of the geometries of the frames listed are quite different - the Merckx sticks out asss having unique geometry.

If you have been riding a particular bike for a while you have probably adapted to that geo. Maybe aim for something similar in geo.
Is it the stack & reach on the Merckx that stand out in your view? I'm currently riding a hand me down Fuji Roubaix circa 1995. The bike still rides fine but after paying for a fitting I found out it's not the optimal size for me. I'm turning 40 soon and a new bike will be a nice mid-life crisis present. Instead of a super-car I'm going for a decent bike. In terms of geometry I'm flexible. Literally and figuratively. I was a student-athlete in college and have kept in good shape with aerobic workouts, lifting weights and such. I miss being competitive in a sport which is why I want to try racing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would want 2 different bikes (and have 2 different bikes) if wanting to race crit's as well as do some dirt and gravel.

I'd want as light a carbon as I could get, with light wheels, probably carbon as well, for the races, crits, fast training.

Then I'd want something separate that has disc brakes and will take up to a 32mm tire for dirt and gravel.

I also like having compatible wheels across at least 2 bikes so if I crunch a wheel, I have a backup, which is why I don't use disc brakes on road bikes currently.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I would want 2 different bikes (and have 2 different bikes) if wanting to race crit's as well as do some dirt and gravel.

I'd want as light a carbon as I could get, with light wheels, probably carbon as well, for the races, crits, fast training.

Then I'd want something separate that has disc brakes and will take up to a 32mm tire for dirt and gravel.

I also like having compatible wheels across at least 2 bikes so if I crunch a wheel, I have a backup, which is why I don't use disc brakes on road bikes currently.
Yeah. I've been contemplating splitting the money to buy two bikes. $2000 for a more race ready frame and $1000 for something to use through the winter, on dirt/gravel. My LBS offered to sell me a 2014 race oriented frame (CAAD 6?) with Ultegra shifters & derailleurs/ 105 crank and a wheel upgrade and an 2015 aluminum Diverge with Tiagra all for $3K. I was just hoping to have one do it all frame for convenience, hopefully a better build with carbon frame/fork (is titanium even an option for $3K?) decent wheels, Ultegra or equivalent group set and something that stands out from the herd. It doesn't have to be one of the Italian or German makes. Orbea and I think Marin is sold at the same shop I'll be visiting. I am also thinking of waiting until Canyon is available in the US because I read tons of high praise for their bikes. But I'm hesitant about ordering a bike on the internet never having tried it.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I applaud you for moving away from the herd. Around here, Cervelos are as common as Cannondales, Specialized and Treks. They are just another mass market Asian made frame. That's all Pinarello is anymore. Colnago is mostly that way. Why spend a lot of money for a frame with a cool name that's made in the Giant bicycle factory in Taiwan? I'm not saying the quality isn't there, but it's the same as frames that cost a lot less.

Consider used titanium. Lots of frames and complete bikes on ebay. New titanium frames are much more expensive. Titanium bikes are damn near indestructable, which is what you want if you're going to be racing it. You can get a complete Ultegra group for $550 and a nice set of wheels for around $700.

I'm kind of a bike snob in that I think a bike should still look good 10 years after you buy it. I recently bought this. Haven't seen another one out on the bike path yet. They won't be making these much longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yeah. I've been contemplating splitting the money to buy two bikes. $2000 for a more race ready frame and $1000 for something to use through the winter, on dirt/gravel. My LBS offered to sell me a 2014 race oriented frame (CAAD 6?) with Ultegra shifters & derailleurs/ 105 crank and a wheel upgrade and an 2015 aluminum Diverge with Tiagra all for $3K. I was just hoping to have one do it all frame for convenience, hopefully a better build with carbon frame/fork (is titanium even an option for $3K?) decent wheels, Ultegra or equivalent group set and something that stands out from the herd. It doesn't have to be one of the Italian or German makes. Orbea and I think Marin is sold at the same shop I'll be visiting. I am also thinking of waiting until Canyon is available in the US because I read tons of high praise for their bikes. But I'm hesitant about ordering a bike on the internet never having tried it.
I'd be getting as nice a road race ready bike as you can afford currently. Whatever of-the-beaten-path manufacturer that floats your boat, with Ultegra Di2 if you can swing it and good wheels. I've seen quite a few Di2 bikes on-line for under $3000 recently - Fuji, Kestral among others. If the choice is Ultegra mechanical then consider 105 instead as it's as good a system as Ultegra and weighs 150 or grams less.

Later, get a gravel grinder as a 2nd bike.

Don't try to split the $3000 for 2 bikes, you'll end up with 2 bikes that compromised something and it's typically wheels.

OR, order 2 different frames from a Chinese direct dealer, Hongfu, Dengfu, Flyxii, etc... then build with components you want and order custom wheels. I just built up a Flxii FR322 frame ($400) with custom bombproof wheels ($400) and a 105 component group ($450) for $1300. I had a seat post, seat, pedals, stem and h-bar, so saved $250 there. I might have been able to find a 2nd tier carbon with 105, but would never have gotten as good a wheel set. Frame and bike rides just great, nicest bike I've owned and all matt black with black components, so looks different.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
In this price range, there is no shortage of awesome bikes. It does sound as though you should be getting 2 bikes or setting your sights on the type of riding that you will do the most.
I totally understand what you mean by not wanting one of the big 4 bikes. That is all that I see around here. They are perfectly fine and they are excellent bikes but it gets boring. It is hard to test ride many of the boutique bikes depending on your market. In my market it is very hard, especially in certain sizes. If a shop carries Bianchi or Willier, they have very little stock to try. Performance carries Eddie Merckx and Ridley. In my market they stock Ridley but not Merckx. Their return policy is awesome though so you could have them order it and if you do not like it take it back.
Colnago is my top choice as that is what I ride. Bianchi, Wilier, Merckx, Ridley and BMC are probably my next list that I would pull from.
Try a Bianch, Wilier or Colnago with Campy if you really want to be different from the big 4.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
If you want something different, and a perfect fit, get a custom steel or Ti bike. Pretty much all the brands you mention are really no different from Trek, Cannondale Ect they are just not as successful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I applaud you for moving away from the herd. Around here, Cervelos are as common as Cannondales, Specialized and Treks. They are just another mass market Asian made frame. That's all Pinarello is anymore. Colnago is mostly that way. Why spend a lot of money for a frame with a cool name that's made in the Giant bicycle factory in Taiwan? I'm not saying the quality isn't there, but it's the same as frames that cost a lot less.

Consider used titanium. Lots of frames and complete bikes on ebay. New titanium frames are much more expensive. Titanium bikes are damn near indestructable, which is what you want if you're going to be racing it. You can get a complete Ultegra group for $550 and a nice set of wheels for around $700.

I'm kind of a bike snob in that I think a bike should still look good 10 years after you buy it. I recently bought this. Haven't seen another one out on the bike path yet. They won't be making these much longer.
I like the titanium bikes I've seen. I haven't considered them because the prices for a new one are out of my budget. I wanted a new bike because they come with a warranty, some better than others. I keep reading titanium bikes are indestructible. If that's not an exaggeration I may put that option on the table.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts