Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i just picked up my friends 3rensho. it has a mix of campy (either chorus/CdA - i don't really know how to tell) and shimano DA parts. the frame serial # dates to about late 86 or early 87, though most aerodynamics seem to date to around 83 or so. at least that's what i've seen. and yellowjersey didn't have the number on file. they actually thought it was a different model by the way the number was arranged. but is says and looks like other aerodynamics, even the one on the YJ site.

i have a complete shimano 600/DA/SR gruppo dating to 81/82 and was thinking of changing out the components.

I like the look of the earlier components more. they just seem better built. is it odd to put older parts on a newer frame? usually folks do it the other way, newer parts on older frame.

i'm not fond of the campy-mano set-up. the feng-shui doesn't seem right. i also like the japanese gruppo on a japanese frame idea.

i know the "it's your bike, do what you want" but would like to hear what others think.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Second the vote

Dave Hickey said:
3Rensho= Shimano...I'd go with the 600 or Dura Ace
for Shimano...going with the older components will give the 3Rensho some cool style points.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought one in '85...

I bought a 3Rensho Athlete in '85. I'm in the middle of turning it in to a fixed gear.

The bike shop had swapped out Campy Nuevo Record for the Shimano 600 deraileurs, and Diacomp for Shimano600 brakes (that was my doing.) Part of me wishes I had all the Shimano600 of the usual build... it's nice stuff, Ultegra precursor... (but the Campy will Ebay for more!)

I have everything in a box, and am spot-painting the frame (which is in great condition, just a few paint chips, one scratch, and a spot where the chain ground off the paint inside the right rear dropout.)

I'd be willing to part with (trade or sell) any of the parts (shimano 600) to somebody who wants to restore their 'rensho. Especially the 125mm 38 hole 600 hubs with straight spokes to Mavic sew-up rims- I have a couple period Vittoria Mondial tires, too... I also have Look pedals and cleats that I bought with the bike in '85: how "period correct" is that? I have no plans for them. Saddle- a nice Selle Italia in suede... I like the saddle.

Anyways, if you are interested, let me know. I can set the parts aside for a few months until you decide which way to go. If you have the money and want to be the envy of all- scrounge up the DuraAce.

Me- I'm gonna have a cool fixie.

'Meat

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks dogmeat. i already have all the parts for a complete bike.

i think i'm going to put the 600/DA gruppo on it. i've actually been saving it for a frame like this. i actually had the wheels rebuilt, not too long ago and haven't put many miles on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts