Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally back from the painter.... I couldn't be happier with the result

Back in December I bought a neglected 3Rensho Keirin frame from Japan. My plan was to turn it into my primary fixie..... After a couple of months of collecting parts and having the frame repainted, it's finally done.... Now I need it to stop raining so I can go for a ride..

Here are the particulars

Frame: 3Rensho 50cm Keirin frame modified for a front brake and bottle cage. The frame was restored/modified by David Cheakas of Southwest Frameworks in Dallas.... I provided the frame and NOS decals from Yellow Jersey and David did the rest... Thanks David

Saddle/seatpost: Brooks Swallow w/ a Dura Ace 7400A seatpost. I painted the flutes and polished the post myself

Headset: Hatta Swan

Bar/Stem: Nitto w/Brooks leather tape. Brake lever is Nashbar cyclocross lever stripped and polished

Brake: Dura Ace 7402

Crankset: Dura Ace 7600 165mm track cranks w/ 50T Dura Ace track ring. 7600 bottom bracket

Wheels: Dura Ace 7600 hubs laced to Velocity silver rims. The rear hub was respaced to 110mm using a conversion kit from Japan. The rear cog is Phil Wood 19t. Michelin Krylion tires

Total cost is around $2200...Yes its a lot of money but since this bike will see more miles than any other, it's a bargin compared to some carbon wonder bike....

I hope to get a good ride in tomorrow.. :thumbsup:

Here are some pics starting with the "before" pics

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Great color, cool seat post. The Velocities without stickers resemble old CXP 30s - very nice.

Those slogans like " Super Record Export" or "Super Strong" remind me of stuff they would put on t-shirts in the old country, like "Varsity Bowling 47 V.A.T. est. 1922 homerun". Very American sounding, very non-native use of language and very funny.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seeborough said:
Great color, cool seat post. The Velocities without stickers resemble old CXP 30s - very nice.

Those slogans like " Super Record Export" or "Super Strong" remind me of stuff they would put on t-shirts in the old country, like "Varsity Bowling 47 V.A.T. est. 1922 homerun". Very American sounding, very non-native use of language and very funny.

I always found it strange that the Keirin bikes all use English script when this version of professional Keirin racing is a homegrown Japan only sport.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
seeborough said:
True.... but at least they're not as bad as Engrish slogans. :D

Engrish.com

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nicely done

You're right. I didn't realize how rough the frame was with the corrosion. I like the plate by the chain stays. Wait until you see the one on the Katana. So the painter/builder did the water bottle bosses and also drilled the fork? Must have decent clearance on the crown. My Samson clearance the crown is so tight I'm not sure you could rill it for a front brake. You have any idea of the frame vintage?
Dave Hickey said:
The restored finished product

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
boneman said:
You're right. I didn't realize how rough the frame was with the corrosion. I like the plate by the chain stays. Wait until you see the one on the Katana. So the painter/builder did the water bottle bosses and also drilled the fork? Must have decent clearance on the crown. My Samson clearance the crown is so tight I'm not sure you could rill it for a front brake. You have any idea of the frame vintage?
The builder brazed on the cage mounts...I drilled the fork myself(prior to sending it to him)... The brake shoes are at the very top(39mm) and the brake mounting bolt just clears the bottom of the headset race...

It works perfectly but any shorter clearance and I'd have issues

I haven't been able to determine vintage but since it's 110mm rear spacing it's probably not any newer than mid 80's

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tarwheel2 said:
What a transformation! Great job. The rain must be driving you crazy, but it's bad luck (in my book) to take your first ride on a new bike in the rain.
Thanks...BTW, I did a quick ride around the block last night and the Swallow was instantly comfortable...... I don't think I'll have any issues making the transition from a B17 and Swift to the Swallow

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Great job by you and your painter! Looks like it was worth the loooong wait. I particularly like the tires and the new saddle. I'm assuming the rust around the dropouts and track ends weren't too bad. Pretty nice transformation. Are the rest of your "fleet" going to feel neglected?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thommy said:
Great job by you and your painter! Looks like it was worth the loooong wait. I particularly like the tires and the new saddle. I'm assuming the rust around the dropouts and track ends weren't too bad. Pretty nice transformation. Are the rest of your "fleet" going to feel neglected?
Thanks, the rust wasn't too bad...The trackends were fine..The fork had some pitting but Southwest Frameworks filled in the pits with brass... There was also a dent in the tope tube that was filled in as well.

I'm leaving for a long test ride:thumbsup:

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I always found it strange that the Keirin bikes all use English script when this version of professional Keirin racing is a homegrown Japan only sport.
Campagnolo's name choices are just as odd. Chorus, Record, Super Record, Daytona, Centaur and Sportman? Maybe it's merely about looking and sounding American?

My little French-German nephews think English words are cool. Any word, really...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very pretty!
Did you have any trouble finding the transfers/decals? I have an old frame of my Dad's that is vintage 50's or so and was wondering where you sourced those.
Hope it rides as nice as it looks!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts