Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it too early to line up a winter project?

I have my eyes on a rough condition 3Rensho Keirin frame...

It will make a perfect winter project. Hopefully the seller and I can come to an agreement....

I'll know by Friday....my fingers are crossed..

hopefully I'll be posting some pics by the weekend

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
there is that sensitively coming out again:D

for the record, I haven't bought a new bike/frame in months.....I'm long overdue....

and I haven't bought this one yet..The guy won't be back until Friday
well?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
peyo said:
3Rensho...I'm salivating. Hopefully, he got it.
yeah cause poor Dave hasn't gotten a new bike in weeks......LOL.....kicker is...ALL his bikes are in MY size.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
yeah cause poor Dave hasn't gotten a new bike in weeks......LOL.....kicker is...ALL his bikes are in MY size.....
See, when Dave spends his money, we can live vicariously through him. When we're bored and freezing in the dead of winter, we can read about how much fun he's having with the build.

Dave, care to send me one of your sample bikes? You won't miss one missing from your stable, right?

·
glider
269 Posts
innergel said:
I'd love to have a Keirin frame as a winter project. If you run across a Keirin frame in my size, pls let me know. I can't seem to find any in 64cm. :D
With apologies for my naiveness, I haven't seen a large enough frame by 3Rensho or Nagasawa that will fit me at 6'3 - am I mistaken to think they are exceptionally rare in this size? What size am I looking for anyway? :confused:
Many thanks for any & all help to clear this up for me.
Good luck on your acquisition, Dave

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
In general yes, NJS keirin frames run smaller since most racers are either short or prefer a smaller bike... the largest common size is probably a 54/55.

Now 3Rensho and to a lesser extent Nagasawas were made in some number for other markets so you can find a larger 3Rensho road frame or Nagasawa track frame if you look hard enough. Smaller keirin builders like Makino, Samson, Anchor, Vivalo, etc were usually exclusively found in Japan and in small sizes.

If you have the cash some Japanese builders like Kalavinka (possibly RAP, and if you have Sachs type money Nagasawa) will take custom orders from foreigners.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Is it too early to line up a winter project?

I have my eyes on a rough condition 3Rensho Keirin frame...

It will make a perfect winter project. Hopefully the seller and I can come to an agreement....

I'll know by Friday....my fingers are crossed..

hopefully I'll be posting some pics by the weekend

The deal fell through...My concern was the BB cups are seized in the frame due to rust. The seller agreed that they could be....

Oh well, I'll keep looking

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
asterisk said:
In general yes, NJS keirin frames run smaller since most racers are either short or prefer a smaller bike... the largest common size is probably a 54/55.

Now 3Rensho and to a lesser extent Nagasawas were made in some number for other markets so you can find a larger 3Rensho road frame or Nagasawa track frame if you look hard enough. Smaller keirin builders like Makino, Samson, Anchor, Vivalo, etc were usually exclusively found in Japan and in small sizes.

If you have the cash some Japanese builders like Kalavinka (possibly RAP, and if you have Sachs type money Nagasawa) will take custom orders from foreigners.
Bridgestone can build you a steel NJS with either Anchor or Bridgestone labels. It would come from the custom shop= not cheap.

·
glider
269 Posts
Thanks for the info all!
I admit I was quite smitten when I saw a 3 rensho & a nagasawa while in london - they were incredibly beautiful in their detail & simplicity.
I've seen Bridgestone & Panasonic order forms - I'll look into the other Japanese frames that asterisk graciously mentions - I'm looking for the right one to love on.
A custom build is not entirely out of the question just not in the near future.
Sorry that that one didn't work out for you Dave but it seems that there are a few frames sized in the early/mid 50s out there at various prices - I'm sure your winter project will soon find you.
Many Thanks Again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.