Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How pissed am I. I'm trying to build my C50 almost 100% Italian, and I buy the 3T bars and stem after reading on their website about their Italian heritage, expecting them to be Made in Italy. Well, I got the bars and stem today. Bars are made in China, stem is made in Taiwan. Campy needs to start making stems and bars. The only thing that wasn't going to be Italian was the hubs because I couldn't find some 32 hole rims I liked to use on the PowerTap so I went with 28 hole Ambrosio carbon rims. Oh well, I guess I am going to live with this bar and stem combo for a while, at least until I can get the Cinelli Ram bar situation straightened out with the airbrush artist. Trying to get a build perfect takes forever.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i know what you mean

i put my energy towards parts made in past times a bit to get around this souless manufacturing situation. i know i'm gonna get slandered on here for this but i gotta say my bit. i completely understand where your coming from.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry, I've already been called a racist for wanting to build a 100% Italian bike, even though I am 100% Italian.

Just trying to find 28 hole Italian hubs is tough. I know Miele makes them, but actually finding them to buy is impossible. I tried to buy some Gipiemme rims to use to build around the PowerTap, and that was a pain too.

Honestly, I feel as though I should just fly over to Italy, talk to all the Italian bike manufacturers, and then start my own US retail store for their parts with a presence on the internet. I cannot believe it is this difficult to find these parts. The US military should just keep its top secret information with these Italian manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
fabsroman said:
How pissed am I. I'm trying to build my C50 almost 100% Italian, and I buy the 3T bars and stem after reading on their website about their Italian heritage, expecting them to be Made in Italy. Well, I got the bars and stem today. Bars are made in China, stem is made in Taiwan. Campy needs to start making stems and bars. The only thing that wasn't going to be Italian was the hubs because I couldn't find some 32 hole rims I liked to use on the PowerTap so I went with 28 hole Ambrosio carbon rims. Oh well, I guess I am going to live with this bar and stem combo for a while, at least until I can get the Cinelli Ram bar situation straightened out with the airbrush artist. Trying to get a build perfect takes forever.
fabs, i know what you mean but it seems we can't get away from "italian company, made in china/taiwan". for me, the most important thing is the frame and then fork. most forks are alos made in asia as well. but at least there are still some frames made in italy or france. hell, even campy parts are not made in italy anymore. from what i've read, they are all made in romania. i think it is impossible to have 100% made in italy bike. i bought the 3t doric seatpost because 3t is an italian company but i also knew that they were made in asia. i will probably get the 3t ergonova bar and team stem to finish my build. btw, my 2 campy 11 speed groups came in today so i will be busy building next week!! shyzza howdy!

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Fabs, you are going to have a hard time with bars/posts/stems.

These are almost always made in Taiwan or China.

Deda, Cinelli, Stella Azzurra, 3T.

Same thing.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FondriestFan said:
Fabs, you are going to have a hard time with bars/posts/stems.

These are almost always made in Taiwan or China.

Deda, Cinelli, Stella Azzurra, 3T.

Same thing.
Yeah, the first set of Cinelli Ram bars I bought for the Cristallo say Made in Italy on them. Every freaking one thereafter, 3 total, say Designed in Italy. I guess I'm just going to have to live with the Italian names being made somewhere other than Italy. The Arte frame says Designed in Italy too.

I'm going to go and build my front wheel now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Deda

Fabs,

For several years now I have been using Cinelli Ram stem/bar combo on my bikes. After converting to the new 11 speed levers I wanted more adjustability w/the placement and purchased a Deda Presa carbon bar w/a deda Nero Zero stem. Both are new for 2009.
These products are 100% Italian bliss. I can't tell you how impressed I am with them. Deda now has them in black or white, not cheap but really nice. I purchased from Como.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. Deda it is going to be then. The 3T stuff wasn't really cheap either, and the only reason I went with it was because I liked the red accents, the bars were somewhat ergonomic with a flat top, and I thought they were made in Italy. I'm going to check out Deda and if they have anything I like these 3T bars and stem are going back.

I'm wondering if ITM is another option that is actually made in Italy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Fabs...... Deda zero100, loads of Colnago owners use the stem, I love the bars, the shape suits me.... check 'em out.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
My 3T Arx Team stem and Ergosum Team handlebars are both made in Taiwan.

The fit & finish is excellent. Taiwan has some of the most advanced manufacturing capability in the world.

Unlike, say, mainland China, where the more price sensitive goods are often manufactured. In fact, certain Taiwanese products are often out-sourced to China due to cost pressures. With the proper oversight, China can make good products, but their technology is often a step or two behind Taiwan.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Deda's made in Taiwan too.

All these brands are made in Taiwan.

I used to get parts directly from the factory there through a contact. Those Pinarello MoST bars? Made by Trigon. I could get them for about $150 or so. Stem, post, etc., same thing. All made there.

One seatpost I ordered was identical to my Deda Blackstick, except without the logo.

Trigon makes great stuff though. Their frames are excellent.

·
Registered
123 Posts
well, "made in ..." only says that a certain amount of the added value was added in that very country. it doesn't mean that it's 100% made there. if a manufacturer says that his products are made in italy, only a certain part of the value has to be added added in italy. parts can still come from all around the world...

so, get over it. live with it. accept it. it doesn't matter. the most important thing is that you have a beautiful bike. it doesn't matter whether or not all parts are 100% italian. btw, there's a fabulous eps on weight weenies, reddish colour scheme with 3t parts. just drop dead gorgeous! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hate to say this but I seriously have doubts over the origin of manufacture of the whole C50 range. Why go to an English BB? I don't buy the reason given that its to make it 'easier' for Colnago's and dealers to hold all the same unified stocks and due to consumer demand. Call me a cynic but I smell a rat about the whole going English BB change...

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
ClassicSteel71 said:
Use Deda and get over it..

I can't judge, I have French pedals and an Asian fork.
All I have are Deda Supernaturals anyway. Very happy with them.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
What about ITM? I had the same "All Italian" drive for my MXL. I was able to get an ITM bar that was made in italy, along with a Colnogo pantographed ITM stem, also made in italy.

I tried my best, but I still had to settle for some non-italian parts, the DT spokes and nipples, the look pedals, dugast tubulars, thompson masterpiece seatpost, CK headset, brooks team pro ti seat. Oh yeah, and the irish/norwegan owner.

1 - 20 of 244 Posts