Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up an XR-300 around a Powertap 32H hub and chose to go 3x drive side, 2x ND. I've built a standard 3x before, but I'm not sure of the lacing pattern for the 2x side. Any diagrams anywhere that show 2x?

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Why?

patchito said:
Building up an XR-300 around a Powertap 32H hub and chose to go 3x drive side, 2x ND. I've built a standard 3x before, but I'm not sure of the lacing pattern for the 2x side. Any diagrams anywhere that show 2x?
As Mike T. said, you simply cross two spokes instead of 3. It sounds like you might be overthinking this. Beyond that, what do you feel is the incentive to have two different cross patterns on the DS and NDS of that wheel?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Did you consider 2x on both sides? Since the PowerTap hub has a 68mm wide flange you need to be extra careful with the spoke line at the rim on the 3x side, especially with a deepish rim like what you are using. If the spoke line isn't good you will get broken spokes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry Irons said:
As Mike T. said, you simply cross two spokes instead of 3. It sounds like you might be overthinking this. Beyond that, what do you feel is the incentive to have two different cross patterns on the DS and NDS of that wheel?
Well, I definitely over-thought the project. My Powertap came pre-built on a Velocity rim. After I backed over it with my car, the simplest thing would have been to just get another Velocity and re-use the straight gauge spokes and brass nips in the existing 2x. I wanted to upgrade, so Sapim Lasers and alloys nipples it was. Just wanted to give traditional 3x strength on DS and do something a little more minimalist on the other side. Do something a little different.

Why? Should I have done radial on the NDS? :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
valleycyclist said:
Did you consider 2x on both sides? Since the PowerTap hub has a 68mm wide flange you need to be extra careful with the spoke line at the rim on the 3x side, especially with a deepish rim like what you are using. If the spoke line isn't good you will get broken spokes.
I noticed as I was taking apart the old wheel that they had done 2x both sides from the factory. In hindsight I should've just done that. I just figured 3x on DS was the safest bet.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I had my 28 hole Powertap rebuilt by rruff last year with an XR-300 and Sapim CXrays. I told him to use whatever pattern he felt works best and it came back to me 1X heads in on the DS and 2X NDS. He also used washers on the spoke heads which he hadn't done on any of the White Industries based wheels he has done for me. Works great for me. He's explained his reasoning behing that lacing pattern in other threads when this has come up. I use it on my training bike and its as true as the day I took it out of the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts