Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my 1st race of the year this Saturday, Kirkwood PA
(I just started racing - did 3 road races and 1 crit last year.)
There was a seperate cat 5 race and a 4/5 race....I did the 4/5. 75 racers which was the field max. When I left my house it was sunny and warm, got to the race in plenty of time -helped that I only live about 1/2 hour away, did a decent warm-up......but since it was starting to rain and get cooler I kind of lost some motivation. Thank goodness I decided to pack at least arm warmers. Met up with a teammate and prior to the start and lost track of time just a bit.....saw the race start and sprinted back to the start. Thank goodness it was the cat 5's starting. We got to the back of the line just in time for the start. Rain had stopped and was starting to dry out a bit.
Race was 3 laps of about 7.5 miles each, rolling with a few small hills thrown in. The start was civialized and I immediately worked my way right to the front group. My goal this year was not to get dropped as soon as I did last year (I did this race last year as my very 1st road race.. I was dropped from the main group at the end of the 1st lap.) I was feeling pretty good and kept my spot near the front most of the 1st lap. Doing well on the climbs and ended up backing off a bit on them. There was a long stretch to the start/finish line where the pace picks up a lot and the group splits. I stay with the main group....goal reached! 2nd lap starts and about 1/3 of the way into it the pace is still going strong. I'm pretty well at my max and struggling to hang on to the lead group of about 20. I drop off just a bit with 4-5 others that have splintered from the main group. I now have to make the decision to power up and try to get back on to the group or sit up and grab the group behind. I know we are heading into some of the rollers and some small hills....since I'm maxed I decided to not completely blow up and tempo for a while and hopefully grab onto the next group. After a few minutes I get my legs back and decide to no longer wait for a group and pick up my pace a bit. About 3/4 of the way thru the lap a small group of about 10 are commimy up on me so I sit up and join into the group. There are not working together and even though I am a MTB'er I know enought to try and get the group organized. We get a decent line going multiple times only to have it get all cluster Fcked each time!!?? Myself and a few others are getting pretty frustrated so I finally I just tell 3 others we'll just do our own line and for some reason that seemed to work pretty well. We ended up geting the entire group pretty organized for the entire last lap, never saw the main group though. I was definately struggling on the faster flats toward the end, but still feeling pretty stong on the last few hills, dropped everyone on these climbs. On the last climb I pulled away with 2 others.
In the end I finished 19th/75 which was ok. I though I did better as I really thought our group picked off a lot of the straggling main group, but later realized these riders could have been from the earlier cat 5 race.
I was satisfied with my performance, I road well and moved where I wanted to be in the group. I am feeling in ok kind of shape especially since I was completely off the bike for 5 weeks starting in Feburary due to being sick for 3 weeks and then threw my back out for another 2 weeks.

Any training suggestions to help me with keeping up the tempo for such long periods of time. This is where I am struggling. High paced tempos for sustained periords of time on the flatter sections.

Thanks for reading,
KMan

http://www.pbase.com/dens/kirkwood_rr

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Could those screwups of had team members in the lead pack and didn't care ? Or just inexpierenced?

KMan said:
Did my 1st race of the year this Saturday, Kirkwood PA

10 are commimy up on me so I sit up and join into the group. There are not working together and even though I am a MTB'er I know enought to try and get the group organized. We get a decent line going multiple times only to have it get all cluster Fcked each time!!?? Myself and a few others are getting pretty frustrated so I finally I just tell 3 others we'll just do our own line and for some reason that seemed to work pretty well. We ended up geting the entire group pretty organized for the entire last lap, never saw the main group though. I was definately struggling on the faster flats toward the end, but still feeling pretty stong on the last few hills, dropped everyone on these climbs. On the last climb I pulled away with 2 others.
In the end I finished 19th/75 which was ok. I though I did better as I really thought our group picked off a lot of the straggling main group, but later realized these riders could have been from the earlier cat 5 race.
I was satisfied with my performance, I road well and moved where I wanted to be in the group. I am feeling in ok kind of shape especially since I was completely off the bike for 5 weeks starting in Feburary due to being sick for 3 weeks and then threw my back out for another 2 weeks.

Any training suggestions to help me with keeping up the tempo for such long periods of time. This is where I am struggling. High paced tempos for sustained periords of time on the flatter sections.

Thanks for reading,
KMan

http://www.pbase.com/dens/kirkwood_rr

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Maybe...

bas said:
Could those screwups of had team members in the lead pack and didn't care ? Or just inexpierenced?
Maybe they just didn't care because they were already OTB, and the race was over for them really. Got to know when to fold 'em (so says Kenny Rodgers).

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess would be inexperience

I don't think in a 4/5 race there are much team tactics going on. From what I saw I would just say inexperience.

KMan

·
Registered
21 Posts
great report

I thought about making that race my first ever race but wussed out. I'm considering making the Mt. Joy race my first. I guess I'm just a little unsure because I'm not affiliated with a team.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teams

My take is at this level teams don't make that much of a difference. I had 3 guys there from my team. Didn't even see the one, the other we just started together.....not much we could do to efect much of anything. Showing up with no team is no big deal....let you meet other bike riders and see cool bikes :)

KMan

krindog44 said:
I thought about making that race my first ever race but wussed out. I'm considering making the Mt. Joy race my first. I guess I'm just a little unsure because I'm not affiliated with a team.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tuesday night rides

Do you do the Tuesday night rides off of 283 in Salunga? I'm guessing that would be a good place for me to start.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope...

With 3 young kids I do most of my riding solo. I try and get out on the weekends for one group ride, but that's usually on my MTB.

KMan

krindog44 said:
Do you do the Tuesday night rides off of 283 in Salunga? I'm guessing that would be a good place for me to start.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
KMan said:
I'd really suggest doing some group rides on the road. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the problem is just the shift in strategy between MTB and road racing. On the MTB you are trying to stay as close to the redline (sustainable power/LT/FT/whatever you want to call it) as possible without going over and blowing. On the road, on the other hand, you need to conserve conserve conserve, because there will be times when you will need to hold power which is well beyond your sustainable threshold. Doing more group rides on the road should get you more mentally attuned to this strategy shift. As for training thoughts, I'd suggest doing some VO2 max intervals (say 5 minutes at 115% of your sustainable power)... but really, that kind of work is only going to help if you know how and when to burn the matches.

Great report, keep 'em coming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts